Is there a way to know without tests

blackwater

Is there a way to know if you're tank is cycled without any test kits?

Flyfisha

No not really. However if a tank stocked with a good number of fish and is not cycled and no water changes are done for 14 ish days all the fish will be dead .

This is not a reliable way to check the current state of the cycle as fish die from other reasons.

Also in cold water ammonia is not as toxic. In a low PH ammonia is not as toxic. You could in fact have a cold tank with a low PH and have healthy looking fish without a cycle.

Short answer
No not really.

Cherryshrimp420

Yes just put some snails and shrimp in and observe their behavior. I've never relied on test kits for cycling tanks.

blackwater

my snails have been doing well for a week, is that a good sign

StarGirl

How long has your tank been going?

blackwater

2 weeks with cycled media

StarGirl

How much cycled media? That makes a big difference. What was the media?

KingOscar

my snails have been doing well for a week, is that a good sign
Not necessarily. I had a few Ramshorn snails in a tank when I did a fishless cycle and dosed it to 4ppm ammonia. The snails were fine, but that doesn't mean fish would be.

Just curious, what's the reason for not wanting to use a test kit?

blackwater

I let the filter sit in old tank water for 2 days and then added seeded material. I half of it with another fluval i had
I dont really think i can convince my parents to get a test kit because they think that it is unessesary and a waste of money. Also just added some amanos and they're doing pretty ok so far
oops and the media was just some bio rings

Flyfisha

Shops will test water for free in my country. A dollar perhaps in some countries?

If you do get a test done ask for the results to be written down, if they don’t give you a handout paper with everything written on it.

Azedenkae

No there is no way to know for certain.

greggw2gs

Blackwater, I don't have much to add here. I would at least get a Nitrite test kit. If it is at zero you can assume, given you have provided some Ammonia for the bio to feed off of, it's cycled. I would advise doing a bi-weekly 25-50% water change with conditioned water regardless of test kits if you don't want to use them. Suggest you just buy your parents a KIT?

blackwater

Thank you guys for all the advice! I'll probably get it tested at a petsmart or something.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fish99
Replies
Views
GuppyGal7
Replies
Views
KTshrimp
Replies
Views