Is There A Way To "Disinfect" Marimo Balls? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Ava, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Ava

Ava Valued Member Member

I would like to add more plants to my goldfish tank and I really think they'd get a kick out of these. Only one store around here sells them though. The balls share a tank with some guppies that I believe have some sort of parasite that I don't want transferred (they constantly rub up against everything in their tank). Is there a way to clean these balls so they are safe or should I just pass them on by?

Thanks!:)

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Parasites need a host to survive, so if you kept the ball in a glass of water for a few weeks I think it would be safe. I also think that there is a dip people use on their plants to kill off any possible snail eggs and parasites. Someone who knows about plants should be able to expound on that.

3. slimeneo

slimeneo Valued Member Member

Some people dip plants in a bleach solution, but it's not always recommended because you might kill the plant itself. I agree though, just leaving the ball in a cup for awhile would be fine :)

4. Novemayune

Novemayune Valued Member Member

I read that someone on here uses a hydrogen peroxide solution, but I can't remember if that was for plants or cleaning...

5. OP
    OP
    Ava

Ava Valued Member Member

Okay, I think I'll try letting them "sit" for a while unless I come across a solution for cleaning. Thanks, Everybody!

6. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Many parasites do need hosts to live, but I know of members who have received marimos with little critters living on them. You can do a dilute hydrogen peroxide dip, but I let mine sit in a tupperware with water for a few weeks. I put Flourish in too, and changed the water every few days. :)

7. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I'd be careful about dipping marimo, since it's a form of algae. Most of our 'dips' on plants (h2o2,kmno4, bleach) are meant to disinfect and kill stray algae/hitchhikers. I've not tried it with them, so it might not matter, but just a thought.

8. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Wash it under a sprayer? Should get all the junk off.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice