Is There A Transitional Period For Aquatic Plants? (beginner)

KareemMonzer

Hey guys!

This is my first thread on this forum so apologies if I've posted this in the wrong area.

I am currently in the first week of cycling my very first aquarium. Its a low tech 125L (33 gal) planted tank. Since I added the plants a week ago, they all seem to be deteriorating by the day. Symptoms include yellowing/browning of leaves and "cottoning" of some of the leaves. I spoke to someone for the fish store and he told me just a transitionary period. I haven't started dosing anything yet except Seachem Stability and Seachem Flourish Excel.

These are the plants I have in my tank:
- Anubias Nana
- Cryptocoryne Costata
- Lobelia Cardinalis
- Staurogyne Bihar
- Sagittaria Subulata
- Java Fern
- Weeping Moss
- Staurogyne Repens
- 3 other unidentified plants (my father bought them for me without asking what species they were, but they're actually the best out of the lot)

My filter is the Juwel BioFlow M (600l/hr) and my light is the Juwel MultiLux LED (2x14W), which I keep on for 8 hrs a day. I did my research before buying any of the plants and I'm quite certain that these plants should be fairly low tech. However, I'm obviously missing something. I'd really appreciate your help guys.

PeteStevers

It is normal for plants to "melt" when first introduced due to the extreme difference in your water parameters as opposed to where they came from. Typically they will regenerate. Not sure about the mosses. Not sure if those will come back if they totally die back. You may want to think about using root tabs for those that are root feeders as well.

Addie42

Yeah there is a transitional period for plants if they’re grown out of the water they appear to be struggling as they convert to aquatic plants. The best thing you can do is just avoid moving them around

Samanthaljay

I am not a plant expert but I have a few in my tank. I believe this is what is referred to as a "melt" but it is definitely normal. My sword looked a wreck for about a month where my anubias have looked exactly the same (as far as condition goes) since I got them. I don't have any personal experience with liquid ferts but I do use root tab fertilizers. I am not sure which of those plants are rooted but maybe try some fertilizers? I am sure other people with more experience can comment on some suggestions!

Kiks

When aquatic plants are grown above water, they usually go into a melting phase when you put them in water. This is cause the leaves weren't grown for an under-water environment so the plant changes when the environment does. Melting isn't bad, what's happening is just that the plant is getting rid of the leaves that were grown while not submerged and growing new ones suited for being submerged.
This can be avoided if you buy plants that have been submerged throughout their entire lives or someone (like the store you bought them from) has kept them for long enough so that the melting phase is over.

-Mak-

Yes there is, though the symptoms can also indicate nutrient deficiency.

Blue-Green

Mine almost all melted a bit initially. Root tabs might be good for the rooted ones, although I haven’t tried them yet and my Amazon sword that was grown emersed came through the melting period like a champ without them and has grown quite a bit. I have bad luck with staurogynes repens, but most plants adjust and recover. I’d remove any leaves that get too bad, though.

As for moss—in my experience, it doesn’t really melt, but I had to wait a month or two before mine started to grow. Then it took off! I have java moss though, can’t speak for the hardiness of other species.

SeanyBaggs123

Hey guys!

This is my first thread on this forum so apologies if I've posted this in the wrong area.

I am currently in the first week of cycling my very first aquarium. Its a low tech 125L (33 gal) planted tank. Since I added the plants a week ago, they all seem to be deteriorating by the day. Symptoms include yellowing/browning of leaves and "cottoning" of some of the leaves. I spoke to someone for the fish store and he told me just a transitionary period. I haven't started dosing anything yet except Seachem Stability and Seachem Flourish Excel.

These are the plants I have in my tank:
- Anubias Nana
- Cryptocoryne Costata
- Lobelia Cardinalis
- Staurogyne Bihar
- Sagittaria Subulata
- Java Fern
- Weeping Moss
- Staurogyne Repens
- 3 other unidentified plants (my father bought them for me without asking what species they were, but they're actually the best out of the lot)

My filter is the Juwel BioFlow M (600l/hr) and my light is the Juwel MultiLux LED (2x14W), which I keep on for 8 hrs a day. I did my research before buying any of the plants and I'm quite certain that these plants should be fairly low tech. However, I'm obviously missing something. I'd really appreciate your help guys.
Out of curiosity, what substrate are you using?

Most of the plants I have grown go through some sort of transition after I bring them home.

Also, its worth noting that not all of those plants are going to do well in your tank. If after a few months some of them still seem to be dying.. I'd yank em, and either try new species, or buy more of what does work in your tank.

KareemMonzer

Wow, I really appreciate the quick feedback guys!

That's makes a lot of sense actually because the plants that are melting the most were actually the ones that were not submerged when I bought them. That must explain what's happening in my tank!

Out of curiosity, what substrate are you using?

Also, its worth noting that not all of those plants are going to do well in your tank. If after a few months some of them still seem to be dying.. I'd yank em, and either try new species, or buy more of what does work in your tank.

I'm using ADA Power Sand Special and ADA Amazonia II. Also, could you tell me which plants are not going to do well in a low tech setup? Just so I can keep an eye on them.

SeanyBaggs123

Wow, I really appreciate the quick feedback guys!

That's makes a lot of sense actually because the plants that are melting the most were actually the ones that were not submerged when I bought them. That must explain what's happening in my tank!

I'm using ADA Power Sand Special and ADA Amazonia II. Also, could you tell me which plants are not going to do well in a low tech setup? Just so I can keep an eye on them.
Its different for every tank. My jungle val is over 2 feet tall in a tank with nothing but gravel and root tabs. In another tank I have a topsoil substrate and the jungle val melts or doesn't grow at all.

There is no "template" for which plants are going to work in your tank. Try many different varieties to start (which you're doing), see what does well and what doesn't. Kind of a "throw spaghettI at the wall and see what sticks" kind of thing.

MamaLlama76

There are a lot of videos on YouTube about aquatic plant care, which are easy to grow, which are more challenging/picky about conditions and so forth. I'd do a search on there and see what you can find. Many of them, my family and I really enjoyed watching and they were quite informative.

KareemMonzer

Kind of a "throw spaghettI at the wall and see what sticks" kind of thing.

Yeah I totally get that. Thanks for the advice man, I appreciate it!

SeanyBaggs123

To illustrate with my 4 month old tank...

Duckweed is pretty much the herpes of floating plants, everyone hates it... you can't get rid of it. It won't grow in this tank.
However, Red root floaters and water lettuce are thriving..

The jungle val in the background (short grass like) has grown over 2 foot tall in a tank with less than ideal conditions for plants, but with nutrient rich soil substrate it won't grow in this tank.
The Amazon Sword (to the left of the Vals, near the filter intake) had three leaves and was 3 inches tall when it started

There are other plants in there, but you get my jist.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BobbyPickles1027
Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
jmaldo
Replies