Is There A Snello That Fish Won't Eat?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Homeslice, Jan 14, 2019.

1. HomesliceValued MemberMember

I made Snello using some baby food, tumbs tablets, and ground up fish pellet food. My fish (all minnows) went crazy for it and devoured it long before the snails could get to it. Any ideas on what would go into a Snello that is both healthy for the snails but the minnows will not eat? My immediate thought is just to leave out the fish food lol.

Thanks!

2. Iboughtmykidfish

IboughtmykidfishWell Known MemberMember

Most snello, fish do enjoy, but that's usually not a big issue. Try dropping it in before bed with the lights off.

Typically, snello needs to have a bit more than that. Algea (spirluna) and spinach should be included. I ditch the baby food for pureed sweet potatoes. You used the unflavored tuns, correct? Adding more gelatin next time you make it could help it stay firmer longer, then the minnows shouldn't be able to eat it all before the snails get to it.

3. jjohnwmValued MemberMember

Snello? Snello???

This is what I like about this forum; I'm a bit out of touch with the current state of the aquarium hobby, being, you know, a dinosaur and all. I read "snello" and laughingly thought to myself "what's that...snail-flavoured Jello?"

Then I realized that you are actually making food for snails!!!! Who'd'a'thunk? :)

4. Iboughtmykidfish

Eww, snail flavored jello :) that made me giggle.

5. danhutchins

danhutchinsWell Known MemberMember

I thought the same thing. Lol. Very clever tho. Wouldn't have thought of that.

6. Bubbles_and_Fins

Bubbles_and_FinsWell Known MemberMember

Maybe you could put the snello underneath a leaf or something? Somewhere the fish can't get?

7. jjohnwmValued MemberMember

Escarjello.

8. OP
    OP
    H

HomesliceValued MemberMember

Haha thanks everyone. :)

Iboughtmyfish, do you chop up the spinach into tiny pieces? Using a knife or blender?

I take it there is nothing wrong with using baby food, especially the kind that is all natural and has no added preservatives?

I know I should have used unflavored Tums, but they didn't have it, so the snails (fish lol) are getting fruit flavor. I know its better just to used unflavored, will look for that at a different store.

Any recommend algea (spirluna) I can purchase (hopefully not that much $$$) on the cheap, off amazon let's say?

Thanks!

9. Iboughtmykidfish

For the spinach i blanch it first and it goes in the blender with the rest. You can used canned if you need to. I'd say the baby food is fine since its all natural w/o preservatives. Tbh tums isn't as good as just regular calcium pills. Just a lot of extra unnecessary ingredients. If you cant find regular, try the pills (w/o d3), or even ground cuttlebone (the kind for birds) instead. For spirulina, it's not cheap, but amazon may have something. Once you make the initial investment, it will last a few batches, though. I buy the capsuls, for people, and open them up into the mixture, it may even be cheaper to buy it bagged, idk.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice