Is there a place I can get tannin free or low tannin driftwood?

_:lmcw:_

I have decided a pleco is going to have to be a must in my tank due to the amount of rocks and plants in my 29 gallon (cycled for 3 weeks) and brown algae is starting to grow on every surface... I just don't have the time to do that much hand cleaning so often.

Anyway, in order to keep the algae under control, I have been looking at bristle noses and clowns.... both of which I am told need driftwood (I guess most plecos do?).

I like the look of driftwood... but I CAN NOT STAND the look of tannins it leaches out into the water. I know some people like the natural look, but I have a thing for crystal clear water.

Any such thing as tannin free driftwood or driftwood for sale that has had the tannins presoaked out of it?

FriendsNotFood

There probably is, best way to find out is to call your LFS. You can buy wood with plants on them. These ones are most expensive from the planting, but they are tannin free.
Also if you have a pollution free river/lake around where you live, wood that has been sitting in it will be tannin free, but you'll still need to boil it atleast once to make sure it's clean.

Aquarist

Hello and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I have moved your thread to the Driftwood section of the forum to help you to receive more responses.

I hope you enjoy the site!

Ken

LyndaB

If you cannot get tannin-free (didn't know there was such a thing), all you'd have to do with the regular lfs driftwood is to soak it for a day or so. That's always worked for me. I've actually been disappointed about no tannins in the tank.

aakaakaak

There's technically no such thing as tannin-free with driftwood. They all leach some amount of tannins into the water. However, you can get them with "not so many" tannins, or effectively leach/boil them out. It just takes a little longer in the boiling process.The way you tell it's effectively leached/boiled dry/wet is when you boil/soak it and don't get discolored water.

Pleco for algae: I have a clown pleco and he hasn't touched the side of the glass since I got him. All he's done is contribute to the bio load and munch on my gigantic log. I hear ramshorn snails work wonders on algae.

Lol ok....Thanks for the info! I'm still trying to figure out what all I want in my tank and there are waaaay too many possibilities! I may not get a pleco, might get a snail like aakaakaak said as I have read they do clean away algae well and there are types that aren't hermaphrodites (had some overpopulation issues in previous tanks due to this reason), but I can't decide!

I should probably start soaking a piece of driftwood now in case I change my mind... though...

callichma

Driftwood looks good in a tank. I like the natural look. So I'd suggest getting driftwood whether or not you get a pleco. If you decide to get snails, Mystery snails are a good choice imo. They are fun to watch. I really enjoy my bn albino plecos. If you get one, be sure to feed it zucchinI squash.

I really like the mystery/apple snails... I had a yellow one in my last tank a few years ago, but my brother bought a "trumpet snail" and put in my tank, which turned out to be an assassin snail and my snail was no more...

About your driftwood: what kind is it and how long have you had it in your tank?

callichma

My driftwood is MopanI wood that I bought from a lfs. I first put it in my 28g tank a year ago. I have just moved it to a 90g new tank. MopanI wood is very hard and heavy. It is two-toned and smooth. It sinks to the bottom where other driftwood sometimes has to be weighted to keep it on the bottom until it gets completely waterlogged. When I first got it, I boiled it in a turkey fryer for about 3 hours and soaked it for a couple of days. Never had a problem with tannins. The tannins won't hurt the fish, and some people actually like a little bit of tint. Hope you get some.

aakaakaak

The tannins are also a way to slightly reduce your PH naturally. It won't drop much more than a 10th of a percent or two. (I.E. from 7.6 to 7.4)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PAcanis
Replies
Views
psalm18.2
Replies
Views
BettaDollar
Replies
Views