Is There A Non-aquatic Fert That Doesn't Leach / Cloud The Water?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by ap4lmtree, Apr 16, 2018.

1. ap4lmtree

ap4lmtree Well Known Member Member

I am having difficulties with my amazon swords in pool filter sand even with liquid fert and seachem fluval tabs.

So, i am thinking that the tank i set it up next, i will put a mixture of pool filter sand and just lots of crushed fluval tabs or i could do a general mix with some non leeching plant substrate.

2. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Are you asking about a fertilizer or a substrate? :)

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What makes you think it's the fertilizers clouding the water? What liquid fertilizer are you using?

Is the sword not growing well?

I use DIY root tabs - Osmocote Plus granules inside gel caps. You can either DIY or buy them cheaply off Ebay.

4. OP
    OP
    ap4lmtree

i use ThriveS

i dont use osmocote because it has copper and i might want shrimp later.

i guess if i dont mix the sand with fert substrate, then i will crush lots of flourish tabs.

5. TexasDomer

Osmocote Plus doesn't have enough copper to kill shrimp. I keep shrimp in the tanks where I use Osmocote Plus root tabs.

Using the Flourish tabs will get very expensive. Osmocote Plus is safe for shrimp, so I'd consider that.

The swords do need root tabs to do well, if you're using sand - they're heavy root feeders.

The cloudy water could be from a bacterial bloom or from an algal bloom. We can help you figure it out, if you're interested. What are the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?

6. OP
    OP
    ap4lmtree

okay, but i think osmocote plus might have lots of stuff that makes the water more hard.

7. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

I use osmocote plus as well. No changes in parameters or water color, no harm to amano or ghost shrimp.

I have Pool Filter Sand and my plants are doing good.

How long ago did you plant your Amazon Sword?

8. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

Does using osmacote make your water harder?

9. OP
    OP
    ap4lmtree

yes , osmacote makes the water harder. however, i am not sure it matters much if fish adjust to it.

i think seachem flourish tabs raise water hardness too as it has calcium

I dont think aquatic substrates raise water hardness though.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  10. TexasDomer

In my experience, Osmocote Plus does nothing for GH. I have negligible GH from my tap, and the (lots of) Osmocote Plus I put in my tank doesn't change that.

11. OP
    OP
    ap4lmtree

i used a tds monitor to measure water with osmocote plus. What did you use?

it has magnesium in it, so it makes sense that it would raise the tds

12. TexasDomer

It likely does raise the TDS - you're adding dissolved solids to the water, which is what TDS measures. That's not what I'm saying though. I'm saying it did not raise GH for me. TDS and GH are different.

13. Ryan P

Ryan P Valued Member Member

I also use the osmocote diy tabs, have tons of amanos on tank and they don't mind it. But yes Sword need something on the substrate to grow. So if Soiled substrate is not an option for you or other active substrate, you need root tabs.

14. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIII Well Known Member Member

I use osmocote tabs in both of my tanks, and it hasn't changed my parameters or anything like that. No changes in fish or shrimp, and also is a good fert for my plants. If you wouldn't want to use that, you can get flourite by seachem or something, or use vermicompost + chicken manure soil capped with fine pea gravel or sand.

15. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Just wanted to chime in with a quick question. It sounds like the Osmocote tabs are definitely safe with shrimp even though they have copper, but what about snails such as nerites and mysteries?

16. Ryan P

Ryan P Valued Member Member

I have 2 nerite snails on my tank and find no issues wit them, had a myster there for a month but had to move him because wife wanted him on the other tank other than that no side effects on them

17. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIII Well Known Member Member

Shrimp are about the most sensitive things you can put in a tank. If they live, that usually means other inverts will live too, especially with no ill effects. My 80 or so mystery snail babies are doing fine with heavy doses of osmocote every 6 months.

18. OP
    OP
    ap4lmtree

Of course Osmocote Plus and Seachem Flourite raise GH, not just TDS, Osmocote Plus has magnesium in it and by definition water General Hardness is made up of metals such as calcium and magnesium. Osmocote Plus doesn't have calcium in it, but it has magnesium. seachem flourite tabs has calcium in it.

However, even with harder water, i dont think it matters much to fish after they adapt to it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  19. TexasDomer

I think you'd have to use a lot more than you would usually need in order to see an increase in GH. My GH is negligible, even with lots of Osmocote in the tanks (I'm probably too heavy handed with the root tabs :) ).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice