Is There A Livebearer Fry Gender Reveal Disappointment Support Group?

Happy Mama

I had adopted a total of four molly babies shortly after birth. I have a feeling that my eldest (my first ever fish) is a boy - analfin may be developing soon and he is headbutting my potential girls. My plan was to keep females only. This breaks my heart.

lauren42

I’ve had many times when the babies have been a gender that disappointed me I wanted to keep a REALLY pretty girl guppy but I kept her two brothers and couldn’t keep her in case of inbreeding! I was sooooo disappointed

Happy Mama

lauren42 said:
I’ve had many times when the babies have been a gender that disappointed me I wanted to keep a REALLY pretty girl guppy but I kept her two brothers and couldn’t keep her in case of inbreeding! I was sooooo disappointed
(Hugs.) It’s hard.

AQUA_LOVER

lauren42 said:
What I do is replace my male guppies periodically that way I am sure that I am introducing new genetics into the tank. I tend to add a few new males into the mix every 3-6 months. Personally, I would not worry to much about the inbreeding. The fish that are being sold in your LFS are so heavily inbred that all of the fish would be genetically similar. If you are mixing some colours, you are definitely bringing in new Genetics. What most people say is that you are able to inbreed for about 3 to 5 generations without any real issues.

Just my opinion.

AQUA_LOVER

Happy Mama said:
I had adopted a total of four molly babies shortly after birth. I have a feeling that my eldest (my first ever fish) is a boy - analfin may be developing soon and he is headbutting my potential girls. My plan was to keep females only. This breaks my heart.
My wife would totally join this group. Our first baby guppy was a pretty yellow and orange thing that my wife loved and named Canary!. You wouldn't believe how mad she was when she developed further and turned out to be a boy. Unfortunately, it has happened to her a number of times. Ask me why I have gotten really good at sexing my fry at a very young age.

I just made a post about this today in fact.

Livebearer Id

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom