Is there a difference between gold laser cory and orange laser cory ?

jake37

I had some orange lsaer cory (cw010) and wanted a few more so i purchased some gold laser cory since they were labelled as (cw010) but i swear they look very different. They seem to have a darker body and more goldish stripe where as the orange laser i have seem to have a lot more orange across the body. Are these actually different fishes ?

FinalFins

I had some orange lsaer cory (cw010) and wanted a few more so i purchased some gold laser cory since they were labelled as (cw010) but i swear they look very different. They seem to have a darker body and more goldish stripe where as the orange laser i have seem to have a lot more orange across the body. Are these actually different fishes ?
I don't belive they are different fishes.. I would think it may be a combination of natural variation+stress from new tank+not at maturity (if they are juviniles)

Upvote 0

jake37

It might be juvenile thing but the other set was also juvenile when first received. I'm not sure if the first set was wild or tank raised but the new ones are tank raised. Oh well - i've had them for a bit over a week now so i think they are settled in - we will see how they age.

I don't belive they are different fishes.. I would think it may be a combination of natural variation+stress from new tank+not at maturity (if they are juviniles)

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

Got pics of both Jake ?

Took these pics of CW010 back in 2016 at Pier Aquatics in Wigan.

They were seen as a type of C.aeneus earlier so maybe the others are "crossbreeds"

Attachments

• tapatalk_-512003562.jpeg
    tapatalk_-512003562.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 96
  • tapatalk_334805545_512x288.jpeg
    tapatalk_334805545_512x288.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 0

jake37

The first set i have are more orange than those but the second set is similar to your 2nd picture.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

I believe it was Heiko Bleher who found some more orange striped Corys among his CW010. Sounds weird they are called gold lasers and orange lasers as well hahaha. Think they are "slight" local / regional differences.

Upvote 0

jake37

I'll have to work on taking pictures. The old ones rarely come out during the day and the news one rarely sit still. The tank is heavily planted so unless they come out to the front and sit for a minute pictures are impossible. I spent about 15 minutes snapping one of the new one but they were all bad. It'll probably take a few days or longer but i'll try a few times to snag em.

Upvote 0

Michael Hammond

This is a list of the 'laser type ' Corydoras, complete with common names. It is worth remembering that 'common names' are not official.

Cw09. Green Laser
Cw10. Gold Laser / Peru Orange
Stripe
Cw014. Orange Stripe
Cw023. Red Stripe.

Since the allocation of the Cw numbers, a system devised by Ian Fuller, it is now realised that the last 2 ( Cw014 and Cw023 ) are in fact the same fish. The confusion was caused initially by the colour of the substrate the fish were kept on. When the fish were kept on a black substrate the colour appeared red, but on a more natural substrate they looked orange.
One more point the spelling ' laser' is used in British English , 'lazer' is more used in American English.

Upvote 0

jake37

These are not my actual fishes but these pictures show the difference between my two sets:

--
Planet catfish sez Cw014 == cw023:
PlanetCatfish.com - Corydoras(ln7) sp. (Cw014) • Callichthyidae • Cat-eLog

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Suse
Replies
Views
ravenxcore
Replies