Is There A Difference Between Anubias Petite And Anubias Petite Nana?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by TheBettaSushi, Apr 1, 2019.

1. TheBettaSushi

TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

hey all! I went to purchase a plant today from petco (the plants in a tube) and saw that they had Anubias petite with all the Bettas. I decided to purchase one. Once I took it out of the cup, I realized that the Anubias petite has bigger leaves than the one I already have which was listed as an Anubias petite nana. Is there a difference or variations of Anubias petites? Primarily between ones that are listed as Anubias petite and Anubias petite nana?

2. Bryangar

BryangarWell Known MemberMember

No. They’re the same. The leaves aren’t always gonna be the same size.

3. OP
    OP
    TheBettaSushi

On one of them, the leaves are the size of a small pea and they’re a bit lighter in color. The new one has leaves the size of large Lima beans and is much darker in color. This is why I was a bit curious.

4. Bryangar

Maybe one was mislabeled? Any pictures?

5. OP
    OP
    TheBettaSushi

Yes here you go. Can’t really tell the color difference but the smaller leaf Anubias are lighter in color.

This is the one listed as Anubias petite nana (can’t remember if I purchased it from petco or PetSmart). The leaves are also rounder than the other one I purchased today.
    B466BB01-E694-4576-A6B8-7C75EB35707F.jpegBCF9B207-2DEA-4064-8BC5-3511F08458D8.jpeg34A2C443-D5CF-40BA-B0B3-5C7FF4225114.jpeg

This is what I purchased today from petco and it’s labeled as Anubias petite. The leaves on these are more pointy than the other plant.
    B76D95D5-7934-439B-B625-6539B2040D36.jpeg5FC1F36A-53B2-4875-AB2C-7BE801824005.jpegCBF180B2-4344-4D6F-BFB6-A3247FA8A553.jpeg

6. Bryangar

The leaves were grown emersed(out of water), so they’ll be a slightly different shape compared to their submersed leaves. All the plants that are sold in the tubes are grown emersed btw. They mostly likely are the same plant, anubias nana petite.

7. OP
    OP
    TheBettaSushi

Hmm... ok because the one I got today (bigger pointy leaves) were in a betta cup in water. So were the other Anubias with the smaller rounder leaves. All of the other plants I have were in tubes and are growing nicely in my tank. I just wasn’t sure if there are variations of Different types of Anubias petite.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  8. OP
    OP
    TheBettaSushi

I think I found it! What I have may not be an Anubias nana petite. I think it’s an Anubias bonsai and was just mislabeled at the store.

I found it on buceplant.

What do you think? Could it be a bonsai?

9. Bryangar

I doubt it. but maybe? I still say it was grown emersed at the wholesaler than placed into those cups at the store. You’re talking about the “betta buddies” right?

10. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

It's weird. I see all sorts of anubias varieties. Some golden, some 'tiger eyes' with oval leaves, at least 3 different sizes of round leaved anubias. I think I even have a micro nana anubias plant with leaves so small there's like 40 leaves on a single pea gravel. I think there might be difference between anubias nana and anubias nana petite. And then the micro petite which is stupid tiny.

11. OP
    OP
    TheBettaSushi

Yes. They’re both the betta buddy ones. They look like a completely different plant when they’re next to each other. The one I have attached to rock is half the size in leaves than the new one. It’s really strange.

12. OP
    OP
    TheBettaSushi

I see them too. As far as the petites go, I thought they were all one in the same but from what I have, clearly there’s a difference between ones labeled as Anubias petite and Anubias petite nana. My petite nanas leaves are half the size (fully grown) of the new Anubias petite I purchased yesterday.

13. angelcraze

Yep, I ordered a bunch of round leaved anubias years ago, didn't know there's was any difference and they were grown emersed and had to adapt to submerged growth. But years later they are still growing strong. some of the rhizome melted and rotted while adapting, but the new leaves transformed underwater and looking good still. I have clearly three sizes. One has leaves the size of a quarter, one has some sized leaves, and I've split the really tiny plant into 4 plants. The leaves are almost too small for a 5.5g tank lol.
    20190129_180628.jpg20190402_133750.jpg

The second pic is after I split the micro plant. The anubias in the background is the stuff with quarter sized leaves for reference.

14. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Whether bonsai, petite, or nana petite, they're all probably the same plant with different names.

15. angelcraze

I think petite, nana petite and bonsai might be the same, but I think nana has larger leaves. Nana = quarter sized leaves, nana petite = dime sized leaves, micro = salt sized leaves lol!

I just noticed the taller anubias in the pic has pointy leaves.