Is there a Cichlid That Will Mix With My Community? Question

1. VenomGrass Member Member

Hello.
    Wondering if there are any Cichlids that will work well in my tank as they are all absolute beautiful. If not what other fish are beautiful; I'll do research into them. Current set up (See profile) Thanks
    :;thx

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Imo, your tank is already stocked.
    Have you thought about upgrading to a larger tank?

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I'm with Lucy on this one - you have 11 fish in a 16 gallon tank already... including a shark.

Okay, so now you're up to getting:
    16 gallon community tank (already have)
    5 gallon betta tank
    75 gallon cichlid tank

Can we talk you into any more, Dan? How about a puffer tank?
    We're soooooo bad. It's like MTS is a cult. :;laughing

4. VenomGrass Member Member

Lol Dont worry I'm new, very very unexperienced and stupid. I'm just full of daft ideas which are beyond my league lol. I am going to upgrade in a few weeks when I get some savings together. But if I kept the same community in a larger tank would I be able to add a Cichlid? Or are they bad to mix with.

Sorry again for hassling you all, I feel bad.
    :;thx

5. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

I would suggest that you upgrade to a larger tank, re-home the shark and maybe try a pair of Bolivean Rams.

I would love to recommend Regular rams (GBR's) BUT you would need an established tank and a not high PH, probably max at 7.5 or less.

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

lol, not a problem, that's what the forum is for!

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Aw, don't apologize for asking questions... everyone who answers does it because they want to. For me, at least, I've learned so much on this site that it's nice to pay it forward when I am able.

8. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Ditto the above...we are all learning and your question will help others too!!

Helpful hint for today:
    Always, always research your fish on the NET, from more than one source. It is too easy to see a cute fish at the store and get one!!!....later to find out it gets 10 feet long and 200 pounds!!!..lol Paticularly check the max size it gets and it's temperament. If you use the controversial 1 inch per gallon guide....base that on the adult size of the fish, not the little cute baby at the LFS.

9. Neji Member Member

VenomGrass,

There should be some types of cichlids that will be able to survive with your small community fishes :) I know that the RAM cichlids are very gentle :) and they don't eat other fishes :) Not that I have seen from my previous experiences with Bolivian and German Rams :)

I'm pretty sure that dwarf curvicep cichlids can stay with your fishes you have in your tank and they don't grow very big since they are "dwarf" species. There aren't a lot of cichlids that can live well with small fishes. Like the ones you have are small fishes. I hope what I posted helps you :)

10. VenomGrass Member Member

Thanks people. Really good advice; I think i'll read up on a few fish :)