Is there a better way to cool my tank than this?

Nickguy5467

Well Known
i know a chiller is one of the answers but they are expensive.. anyway ive been using frozen water bottles one at a time in my tank. i have 6(thats all i can fit in my freezer) though it takes 4 bottles just to bring it down 1 or 2 degrees. is there a better not expensive way?

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
I've just switched my lights off temporarily but you may have already done that you didn't say. Brings temp down at least 4C.

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Redshark1 said:
I've just switched my lights off temporarily but you may have already done that you didn't say. Brings temp down at least 4C.
its night time both im actuality and in the fish tank. so i deal with this all day, my lights being off does nothing at all. temp stays at 80, trying to bring it down to 77 but it never stays there. nor does it cool in the evening of course i think that might be do to there being absolutely no breeze coming in from my open windows

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Veporation cools a tank down so open the lid, pull the plug of heathers out, leave the lights out, add aeration (oxygen is one of the main issues and warmer water will flow along the surface the same time allowing to cool down by veporation) and most fish can cope with 80F temporarily.

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
DoubleDutch said:
Veporation cools a tank down so open the lid, pull the plug of heathers out, leave the lights out, add aeration (oxygen is one of the main issues and warmer water will flow along the surface the same time allowing to cool down by veporation) and most fish can cope with 80F temporarily.
that worries me. my tap water on cold setting is 80. not sure how that is cold water but yeah. i have two hob filters moving the surface water , its not like rushing waves or anything. i just took the lid off . the standard glass lid doesnt cover the whole thing though thats kind of a given with hob filters. i thought that might be enough for evaporation. maybe not. but the fact that my coldest tap water is 80 degrees doesnt help when i need to do water changes , if i do somehow bring the water temp down. wont i just kill them from shock

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
What fish are exactly in Nick?
Personally I think you took the right measurement.
Same with Ph : a stabil one is better than to gonfir the perfect one.
Gradual tempchanges can easier be coped with than sudden ones.
Maybe add a bubbler for the time being?
Tapwater of 80F ??? OMG.

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
DoubleDutch said:
What fish are exactly in Nick?
Personally I think you took the right measurement.
Same with Ph : a stabil one is better than to gonfir the perfect one.
Gradual tempchanges can easier be coped with than sudden ones.
Maybe add a bubbler for the time being?
Tapwater of 80F ??? OMG.
i know right. i mean what the heck. ive had the water down to 78 and i do a large water change and the tank goes back to 80°+

i have 8 cardinal tetra
6 black skirt tetra
1 sunset platy
1 albino cory

in a 29 gallon , i never had this issue before i moved to this apartment and summer started which is the exact same time my 37 leaked. so 29 gallon. and i didnt have to pay electricity there so a/c 24/7 lol no ac here air flow sucks even with the windows open. i have a portable a/c but that hardly does anything to my whole apartment

i know i need more cory and maybe another sunset platy :p gotta figure out how to not cook my fish first. which is odd because i love seafood

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
DoubleDutch said:
I don't exactly know aboit the platy but the others love water of 80F !!!!
really? from everything ive read everything about my fish they loved around 75. oh well

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
These fish prefer a planted tank with temperatures around 60 to 75 ° Fahrenheit (20 – 24 ° Celsius) although they can take lower temperatures than this. Their high temperature tolerance seems poor and 30 °C (85 °F) is the highest safe temperature.
Species: C. paleatus
Genus: Corydoras

b
lack skirts:
FamilyCharacidae
CareEasy
pH5.8 to 8.5
Hardnessup to 15 dGH
Temperature68 to 79 F (20 to 26 C)

i also checked the cory and platy and it seems that only the platy and cardinals are in this temp range, skirts being just outside

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
I suppose you have C.aeneus albino not C.paleatus or am I wrong.

Don't be too fuzzy about the temps for the Black Skirts Nick. They can't read so 79F or 80F isn't that of an issue if its is temporarily.

As said aeration / flow is a more important than 1 degree.

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
DoubleDutch said:
I suppose you have C.aeneus albino not C.paleatus or am I wrong.

Don't be too fuzzy about the temps for the Black Skirts Nick. They can't read so 79F or 80F isn't that of an issue if its is temporarily.

As said aeration / flow is a more important than 1 degree.
oh i have no idea i didnt know there were multiple types of albino cory.

lol okay. thanks for your help dutch

edit: i just did a 50% water change because its night and i thought maybe the pipes arent so hot and my water would actually be cold. in felt cooler but maybe because its hot in my apt. anyway water went up from 79.5 to 80.7... sigh

MacZ

Well Known
Mine was at 28°C a few days ago. 20°C waterchanges, 20-30l a day worked wonders. It's an 80l tank.

UnknownUser

Well Known
Mine’s pretty much always 80-81 with this heat wave! It has gotten to 85 (and in goes the frozen water bottles!) 80 is fine for the summer!

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
UnknownUser said:
Mine’s pretty much always 80-81 with this heat wave! It has gotten to 85 (and in goes the frozen water bottles!) 80 is fine for the summer!
yeah. feel like those bottles arent doing anything anymore

UnknownUser

Well Known
Nickguy5467 said:
yeah. feel like those bottles arent doing anything anymore
I feel that! Yesterday the room my tank is in hit 90 degrees for the first time. I have two large floor fans pointed at my tank and the lid open. Two large frozen bottles bring it down 3-4 degrees, which is at least helpful when it hits 85, but isn't worth it when the tank's at 80. The fans definitely help, it keeps the tank 4 degrees cooler than the room!

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
UnknownUser said:
I feel that! Yesterday the room my tank is in hit 90 degrees for the first time. I have two large floor fans pointed at my tank and the lid open. Two large frozen bottles bring it down 3-4 degrees, which is at least helpful when it hits 85, but isn't worth it when the tank's at 80. The fans definitely help, it keeps the tank 4 degrees cooler than the room!
i wish i could try the fan thing. i dont have any thing for them to stand on. nor do i have fans that could stand on something to reach the surface ><

UnknownUser

Well Known
Nickguy5467 said:
i wish i could try the fan thing. i dont have any thing for them to stand on. nor do i have fans that could stand on something to reach the surface ><
My fans aren’t on anything or pointing at the water’s surface. They’re literally floor fans that sit on the floor and are pointing at the tank itself. I didn’t actually think it’d do anything but it does! Looks like this.

Attachments

Utar

Well Known
Have you tried removing the top off your tank and running a fan over the water to help cool it down?

I just did a water change on my 55g and I measured the tap water temp to be 84°F. I am doing this during the hottest part of the day. But I do have plenty of room in my chest freezer to freeze bottles of water, so I used eight of these as I added water. Ended up with around 78°F in the tank when after refilling.

New Threads