Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Is There A Best Time To Go To The Lfs?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by steAMYz, Apr 2, 2019.

1. steAMYzNew MemberMember

Hi! Newbie here. I was wondering if there's a best time to go get new fish. As in, if the LFS gets new fish in on Tuesday, should I go Tuesday? Is it better to wait a couple days? More than a couple days?

I was thinking going on Tuesday would be stressful on the fish, and they might need a few days to acclimate before moving tanks again.

Also wondering the same thing about plants?

Thanks!

2. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

It’s good to wait a few days so the weaker ones get weeded out a bit, but if your going to a quality LFS that shouldn’t be much of a problem. Also, if your waiting on a special species or one that sells out fast, you may want to go shipment day so you can ensure you get it. Just make sure everything looks healthy.

3. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

I wouldn't go during the busy times - Sat and/or Sun afternoon... A lot less likely to help you out, and answer any concerns you may have.

4. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

Well... I at least don’t really ask LFS employees for help aside from getting the fish or an occasional special order, don’t trust their advice or anything of the sort. even when they’re busy they typically do ok bagging the fish and ringing you up. For me at least that’s never been an issues, but I do typically go when they aren’t busy, even on weekends (early or late in the day).

5. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Best to have a quarantine tank set up. This way you buy when you see them. Put in qt and let them be for a few weeks. Make sure there healthy.
    If new tank with no fish yet you could put them into new tank. But all future fish should be qt’d.

6. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Oh. I dont ask the basics either.
    But some fish are fussy eaters, or known to commonly be wild caught - where they may not be taking prepared. In that instance, I usually ask what they are feeding, where they come from and have they seen them eat....

(I sometimes also like to ask for advice, while its taken with a grain of salt, a new perspective is always refreshing!)

7. Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore!!!

8. ETNsilverstarWell Known MemberMember

Welcome! As others have mentioned, it really depends on the store and what you're wanting to get. For example, I wanted otocinclus for my tank, but I know they are wild-caught and tend to not be very healthy. Since my store gets their shipments on Wednesday, the best day to stop in for them would be on a Tuesday so I'm more likely to get healthy fish. When I saw ghost shrimp with eggs, I went in to get them the next day and didn't pay attention to what day of the week it was (though it happened to be a Saturday) because I wanted to make sure I got them.

9. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

I always go on the day of or after the shipment. Usually Fridays or Tuesdays. Btw welcome to fishlore!

10. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome! :)

Me personally...I like to wait a couple weeks after fish arrive at my LFS to bring them home. My favorite LFS offers no refunds or returns or anything like that. So...its risky to purchase fish from him the day they arrive or even a day or two later. Waiting a week or two allows any weaker ones to die off. Also, this fish store takes excellent care of the fish, so I know they are well cared for during their time there. The owner puts the date the fish arrived on the tank. So you always know how long they have been at the store. In fact, recently he talked me OUT of buying a big angelfish from him because they had just arrived and he was observing them still. He doesn't want to sell anyone sick or weak fish!! I think that is great.

Here is where I would deviate from the above:

Petsmart or Petco...they have good return policies on dead fish. Like a couple weeks, right?? And fish are often not cared for well at those stores. So getting them out of there sooner than later is best. If I were doing a chain store...that has a return policy allowing refunds on dead fish for a week or two....I would go the day of shipment. Or the next day. There isn't much risk involved when you have two weeks until you can no longer get your money back.

another scenario where I would deviate from waiting....rare fish I want BAD!! Something I know will sell out real quick....I would take them home the day of arrival!! haha

And always ALWAYS QT fish for a month before introducing them to your tank.

11. GalathielWell Known MemberMember

Also, my Petco at least will let you return a fish that doesn't work out in your tank (aggression issues, etc.) during that same time period (actually I think it was closer to a month later). It doesn't have to be dead to get a refund.

12. OurFirstTimeFishyValued MemberMember

Go and ask your LFS when the shipment of fish come, wait a couple days then go. I did that, every store might be a lite different in where they get the fish