Is the saddle on this shrimp going to be fertile?

Paigefav

I have a ghost shrimp and she had been saddled for a while now. I have one other in the tank but wasn't sure if it was male or female. It seems like the saddle had gotten bigger and I feel like I see little black specs on the eggs. Are they going to move down and will she be berried? I have some pictures!

Demeter

The eggs are only fertilized after they are laid and attached to the swimmer bits. There is no way of knowing if they are fertile until she actually lays them. Once she molts, if there is a male in the tank with her then they should breed and then those eggs will be laid and fertilized shortly after.

The growth of the saddle only indicates the maturity of the ovum. Once eggs are mature she will molt and release a pheromones into the water which will attract any males, if she breeds she will lay eggs, if she does not then she may not lay eggs.

Paigefav

The eggs are only fertilized after they are laid and attached to the swimmer bits. There is no way of knowing if they are fertile until she actually lays them. Once she molts, if there is a male in the tank with her then they should breed and then those eggs will be laid and fertilized shortly after.

The growth of the saddle only indicates the maturity of the ovum. Once eggs are mature she will molt and release a pheromones into the water which will attract any males, if she breeds she will lay eggs, if she does not then she may not lay eggs.
Okay thankyou!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FoulFishes
Replies
Views
Gypsy13
Replies
Views
backflipfronflip
Replies