Is the motor of this filter supposed to be underwater?

PlantedCommunityTank132

I bought this 7 gallon tank, and wanted to start the filter, but I wasn't sure if the motor is supposed to be underwater cuz when I started it, the filter motor went underwater. is this supposed to happen?

Attachments

• tempImage3PoOYb.png
    tempImage3PoOYb.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • tempImagehFRDP5.png
    tempImagehFRDP5.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • tempImagerPcy3J.png
    tempImagerPcy3J.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 20

Edsland

Hard to tell by your pictures what brand and model is the filter. Is it hang on the back?

PlantedCommunityTank132

Hard to tell by your pictures what brand and model is the filter. Is it hang on the back?
its built into the tank. here are 2 other pictures.

Attachments

• tempImager2RCIz.png
    tempImager2RCIz.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • tempImageOsuJfs.png
    tempImageOsuJfs.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

SparkyJones

looks like it's an "all in one", and part of the lid assembly? I can't see what I need to see because you don't have the motor installed and have it sitting on the side in the 2nd picture.

Technically yes, very common for aquarium filter pumps to be submersible (or at least immersible) and meant to operate in the water to some extent, in fact the water is usually cooling and lubricating the moving parts of the pump as the water passes through it.

in the 1st picture the tube on the left inside the tank is the intake. A motor with an impeller pumps or pulls the water up that tube into the filtering area. on the right side is the return nozzle.

in the 2nd picture, (due to orientation of the pictures), the pump is supposed to be somewhere on the right side and water is pumped in off that intake tube on the left int he first picture., passes over the clear plastic, and exits out of the left side flowing over that wheel/cog looking thing, and out of the return nozzle.
Yeah, seems like that's how it should work and nothing odd about it at all. all hang on back filters have the impeller and shaft in the water. My pond pump is submerged in my wet/dry filter box, and I'd assume canister filter have the pumps inside of them that have water passing over them also.

if you see exposed wires, that's not normal, but I'm not seeing anything necessarily funny about this besides the motor itself not really being visible in the picture to see how it works, But I'd assume the back side of that lid, has pockets that go down into the tank, and the pump/impeller sits on one side in a pocket, and the other side is mechanical wityh some sort of biowheel on the output side. the clear plastic through the center, I guess it's just a run for some biological, but mostly for offgassing and aeration, maybe a small wet dry trickle channel.

how that motor/ impeller set up that isn't installed in these pictures, how it sits when installed, where it connects, and how it's supposed to function, I don't know, But they all should be able to get somewhat wet and at least partially immersed in water.

Interesting design, i'd like to see it together.

It should have a grounded plug, so it should in theory be grounded and you can't get shocked from it unless it's shorted and then the electricity can't go to ground in the event of a short circuit between the function of the hot and neutral circuit. That's what the ground is for, to send the power in the event of a short somewhere else instead of into the next guy that touches the shorted unit.

***just looked at new pictures. says "Aquarium Power Head" on the pump. It's submersible and grounded. It should be fine, but like anything else, even a heater, things break and short out from time to time. Always use caution and unplug things plugged into a tank, just in case.

PlantedCommunityTank132

looks like it's an "all in one", and part of the lid assembly? I can't see what I need to see because you don't have the motor installed and have it sitting on the side in the 2nd picture.

Technically yes, very common for aquarium filter pumps to be submersible (or at least immersible) and meant to operate in the water to some extent, in fact the water is usually cooling and lubricating the moving parts of the pump as the water passes through it.

in the 1st picture the tube on the left inside the tank is the intake. A motor with an impeller pumps or pulls the water up that tube into the filtering area. on the right side is the return nozzle.

in the 2nd picture, (due to orientation of the pictures), the pump is supposed to be somewhere on the right side and water is pumped in off that intake tube on the left int he first picture., passes over the clear plastic, and exits out of the left side flowing over that wheel/cog looking thing, and out of the return nozzle.
Yeah, seems like that's how it should work and nothing odd about it at all. all hang on back filters have the impeller and shaft in the water. My pond pump is submerged in my wet/dry filter box, and I'd assume canister filter have the pumps inside of them that have water passing over them also.

if you see exposed wires, that's not normal, but I'm not seeing anything necessarily funny about this besides the motor itself not really being visible in the picture to see how it works, But I'd assume the back side of that lid, has pockets that go down into the tank, and the pump/impeller sits on one side in a pocket, and the other side is mechanical wityh some sort of biowheel on the output side. the clear plastic through the center, I guess it's just a run for some biological, but mostly for offgassing and aeration, maybe a small wet dry trickle channel.

how that motor/ impeller set up that isn't installed in these pictures, how it sits when installed, where it connects, and how it's supposed to function, I don't know, But they all should be able to get somewhat wet and at least partially immersed in water.

Interesting design, i'd like to see it together.

It should have a grounded plug, so it should in theory be grounded and you can't get shocked from it unless it's shorted and then the electricity can't go to ground in the event of a short circuit between the function of the hot and neutral circuit. That's what the ground is for, to send the power in the event of a short somewhere else instead of into the next guy that touches the shorted unit.

***just looked at new pictures. says "Aquarium Power Head" on the pump. It's submersible and grounded. It should be fine, but like anything else, even a heater, things break and short out from time to time. Always use caution and unplug things plugged into a tank, just in case.
okay. thanks so much

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Cru
  • Question
Replies
Views
ferg42995