Is The K Of Potassium The Same K In Carbonate Hardness (kh)?

gray_matter16

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is the periodic element letter K for potassium the same K in KH (carbonate hardness)? Meaning, if I add Seachem Alkaline Buffer, which increases alkalinity (KH) and pH, is that similar/same/completely different as dosing potassium from say- Seachem Flourish Potassium?

And vice versa: Will adding Seachem Flourish Potassium raise my tank's carbonate hardness (KH)?

From what I can tell (wiki definition), I would say no: Carbonate hardness, is a measure of the water hardness caused by the presence of carbonate (CO 2− 3) and bicarbonate (HCO − 3) anions.

But I'm no chemist so I still want to ask.

Chanyi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Completely different, no connection between potassium and carbonate hardness.:

"Carbonate hardness is commonly referred to as KH. The ‘k’ is garnered from the German word for carbonate, which is karbonatharte"

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
As Chanyi pointed out above the KH is actually an abbreviation of a german measurement (karbonatharte actually translates to carbon hardness). If it were written in English it would have been CH.

Interesting story actually. Potassium has the symbol K in the periodic table because its (medieval) latin name is Kalium (a name from which a lot of non-English modern languages derive their naming of the substance, like my own, making it a lot less confusing). The word Kalium itself is derived from an arabic word, Qali, which in term is related to the term Alkali - which as you would note, is eerily similar to our terms for Alkalinity (so the word kalium and the word alkaline are related). This probably has a lot to do with the fact that Potassium was originally won from minerals and can be found in relatively high concentrations in sea water (aka alkaline water contains a lot of potassium/kalium). It is not the potassium that makes the water alkaline, however, but the carbonate that the potassium is bound to (K2CO3) is what influences the KH value of the water.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom