is the iridovirus still killing DGs?

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I got a DG but he died from what is commonly referred to as the DG disease. That was several months ago and I was wondering if the iridovirus is still killing them now as I would like one.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am sure it is still out there, but I have noticed a drop in the "I've had three gourami this month and all mysteriously died" type threads, so I do think it is less common.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Either that or people are shying away from DG's.
But I agree monmouth, I haven't seen as many posts where the symptoms sound like dgd. We can only hope it's is on the down slope.

That being said, I wouldn't add a DG to a tank that was exposed to dwarf gourami disease. If I remember correctly, it was recommended to me not to try another in the same tank for at least 6 months. Even that was more of a guesstimate

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks!

Lucy, that is an interesting point, I had never thought about that but it makes sence. I think if I get one it will be the Colisa chuna and not the Colisa lalia so there will be no chance of getting the disease.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had one die with typical symptoms a couple of months ago.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I see a lot of members choosing Honeys. I went with a Thick Lipped since they're supposed to be less sensitive and shy than Honeys.
I also have several sparklers. Cool fish, but not a centerpiece fish many are looking for.

Sorry about your loss Liz. It's a terrible thing to watch happen.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah I am thinking I will go with honeys, I would like sparklers but there aren't any good LFS here so I am stuck with Petsmart. They have a good staff and fish at least but still not great selection.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks Lucy. I don't know whether people not mentioning it means it doesn't happen. I didn't say anything because it seemed like old news. I had read enough about it that I recognised it and knew there was nothing I could do. I had even gone through the whole "maybe I shouldn't get them" thinking and risked it anyway.

Honeys are gorgeous. Not quite as impressive as a nice DG but I am sure you won't regret it.

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just had two Dwarf Gourami last month. Both died shortly after spawning. The female died on the 4th day. I assumed she died because unable to release the remaining eggs in her huge belly since the male refused to spawn with her any more. The male died about around 2 weeks after purchase, and I don't know for sure what caused it. His color just became more and more dull with darkened color on the head and front areas. He went from eating like a pig to not eating at all.

I guess, many people assume it's iridovirus when they can't find a cause for their DG's death. I thought of iridovirus, but for real, I don't know for sure since I have never seen a photo of it.

I still have two surviving DG fry though. They are one month old and the bigger one just grew a pair of feeler two days ago.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Those are good points. People who have no other explanation for their DG death could blame DGI. And people who have their DG die from DGI may not always report it.

crazedACD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes I've seen it recently, in my LFS. Usually get in 6 at a time, and they pretty much look like they are "peeling", they look pinched and underweight.

mosaicguppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a dwarf and a honey and I am aware of idiovirus but my little guy doesn't have it but if yours died from it get a honey!

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have decided I am not going to get any DG as around here I can't find any honeys I also have decided that it would not fit into my stocking plan.

Thank you all you were very informative!

mosaicguppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What've you got in the tank?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom