Help Is The Fluval 3.0 A Good Light For Plants Like It Says?

MichaelT1989

Reaction score
I have micro sword, bocapa, water sprite, ozelot sword, melon sword, kleiner bar sword, java moss, and Anubias in a 30g. I’ve had a Beamswork Da light for about a year and the longer I have it the more I think it’s to bright for most of my plants and fish I think it’s a 10k light. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I’m going to buy a fluval spectrum 3.0 this coming week but before I do I want to see if anyone who has more experience with the light and plants than I do can point me in the right direction. Thanks

mlash

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have micro sword, bocapa, water sprite, ozelot sword, melon sword, kleiner bar sword, java moss, and Anubias in a 30g. I’ve had a Beamswork Da light for about a year and the longer I have it the more I think it’s to bright for most of my plants and fish I think it’s a 10k light. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I’m going to buy a fluval spectrum 3.0 this coming week but before I do I want to see if anyone who has more experience with the light and plants than I do can point me in the right direction. Thanks
Honestly, I had a fluval 3.0 and I returned it. It just seemed like a lot of money to spend for a light that does what the other cheaper lights do. Just my opinion!

altwitch

Reaction score
I've fallen in love with the Fluval 24/7 line as they are easy to manage and do good things for us. A bit pricey but for us cost is not as much of a factor and the 24 hour cycle is welcome and keeps things square. Just a suggestion and something to investigate.

MichaelT1989

Reaction score
Honestly, I had a fluval 3.0 and I returned it. It just seemed like a lot of money to spend for a light that does what the other cheaper lights do. Just my opinion!
What lights would you recommend? The one I have now is super bright white and I want something a little dimmer more of a light yellow color

mlash

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How deep is your tank? The Fluval aquasky 2.0 is $50 cheaper and imo is sufficient for the plants that you have. I also have an Aquaeon optibright plus that does a great job if you have a shallow tank (it's $50 cheaper also). I had the Aquasky on my 20gal long but it was too bright for the shallow tank.

This is my 20gal long with the Aqueon optibright plus on it. As you can see it's growing my Monte Carlo carpet just fine.
June299.JPG

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If what you already have uses dimmable LEDs, have you considered getting a programmable controller for it? For about $20 you can get control over the intensity, and program ramp up/down cycles to mimic the sun.
Jurijs Jutjajevs reviewed the S2 Pro controller rather favorably. Considering what it brings to the table it seems like quite a deal.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What lights would you recommend? The one I have now is super bright white and I want something a little dimmer more of a light yellow color
Yea the DA fspec is very cool. It is 10000k with blue, green and red. Beamswork's 6500k is too yellow for my tastes, but sounds like you would like it.

If you like the way BW grows your plants, it's the cheapest fixture you can get I think. Best bang for my buck anyway.

My 90g with a 6500k fixture in front and 10000k EA in the back. (It's a deep tank)
20190804_235433.jpg

I know it's hard to depict on a screen from a pic, and the 10000k EA softens the yellow by a lot, but my EA fspec for a comparison
20190209_152117.jpg

FYI the EA models aren't very strong. Unless you have a super shallow tank, I recommend the DA instead. Also you could rig in a cheap dimmer as suggested already, the EA fspec is cool light, but it's not very bright.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom