Is the finnex planted plus 24/7 light good for plants?

Dillan Murphy

I want to plant my already established 60 gallon aquarium. I'm a beginner when it comes to planted tanks the last time i tried it was a disaster. The plants i plan of growing are vallisneria amd sagittaria and anything else you all recommend. I do not have a plant light yet but I plan on get a finnex planted plus 24/7 hlc light, is this a good light for these plants what do you recommend? Also how do go about planting a already established tank, im guessing attaching to rocks and letting them sink.

Lilthuglet

I've done well with java moss and java ferns, both are growing well. Bacopa died on me (hard water maybe?) salvinia natans floating ferns are great and just need dropping in the top, though they'll shade what's underneith and they need thinning every now and again. Spike grass is growing well and my ludwigia is too.

What worked well for me was laying out a spreadsheet (nerd) with my water and tank parameters - pH, hardness, temperature, light levels etc, then look at the kind of plants I fancy and compare their parameters and go for something that's ideal ranges sit slap bang in the middle of my parameter window.

Shade to medium light types worked best for the LED lights as far as I can see - that's why my bacopa died I think.

My lights are on about 8-10 hours a day, but people tell me that is too long and I'm risking algae. I have none at the moment so I'm not too worried but I might need to reduce it a bit if I start to get some build up.

Upvote 0

Dillan Murphy

The plants i tried to grow in the past were Ludwigia and money wort, they never grew roots and fell apart at the stem

Upvote 0

Lilthuglet

The plants i tried to grow in the past were Ludwigia and money wort, they never grew roots and fell apart at the stem

Thats exactly what my bacopa did, I've got a miniature red ludwigia repens at the moment that had a bit of die back initially but now has extra roots dropping all up the stem and is growing loads of tiny, but very green, leaves. The java ferns and spike grass have absolutely thrived though.

Will say that any red plants you buy, you need to be prepared for them to turn green. They're still pretty though .

Upvote 0

Dillan Murphy

I have a 60 gallon that is 48 inches long and 17 inches high. I'm thinking about getting the finnex planted plus 24/7 hlc light, it is 8000k would it be a good light for my tank.

Upvote 0

Dillan Murphy

I rather have the one I choose because it has a wireless remote and its easier to set the timer

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Scotia
Replies
Views
SeattleRoy
Replies
Views
AngelTheGypsy
Replies