Is the aquatic life 100 gph RODI unit a good option for reef aquarium? Question 

christopher27

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Im planning on getting a mixed reef/fish tank in a year or so and found the aqualife 100 gph to be well reviewed, decently priced, and the cartridges are readily available on amazon, is this a good option? How often do the membranes, carbon, sediment, and DI filters need to be changed? (Im gonna be making less than 20 gallons a month)

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a BRS ro /di unit .
At 20g a month your cartridges should last years !
I make hundreds a week and change them out every 6-12 months .
The TFC last me about 3 years so you may never need to replace if kept clean with a flush kit ..
If the filter takes standard 10" cartridges then you are free to choose others anyways ..
I like BRS for my cartridges and info on set ups ..
You will go through DI the fastest so if you can have 2 Di units in series it will be safest and easier for you keeping up ..

christopher27

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
coralbandit said:
I have a BRS ro /di unit .
At 20g a month your cartridges should last years !
I make hundreds a week and change them out every 6-12 months .
The TFC last me about 3 years so you may never need to replace if kept clean with a flush kit ..
If the filter takes standard 10" cartridges then you are free to choose others anyways ..
I like BRS for my cartridges and info on set ups ..
You will go through DI the fastest so if you can have 2 Di units in series it will be safest and easier for you keeping up ..
How fast do you go through DI filters? How many tds is in your water after a year?

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My tap is 350 TDS .
My ro gets water down to 17-20. I have a pump to have 60+PSI ..
I only use DI for marine tank,I split lines and have float valves for my RO and my RO/DI barrels .
With DI my water is 0 as it as it should be ..The higher your TDS the faster you will go through DI resin .I use the BRS color changing resin and watch it go from dark [blue] to completely pale [yellow] before changing .I run a dual di .This allows the second unit to be the safety net .When the first is exhausted [I push it ] you move the second unit to #1 spot and place new media in #2 spot ..Never gets anything but 0 this way and really only cost the extra canister ..My unit came dual di as this is not my idea ,it is really how some systems are configured..
I don't make much RO/DI so it is tough to say now ?? I believe studies showed reefers went through DI the fastest out of all media and spent the most over time on it ..
Go to BRS and watch their videos .Free and wicked good information ..

wd67

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The water here where i live is so bad that I have had to replace my filters as the water flow was down and started to get a funny taste. Its been on about 4 months. I back flushed the Membrane and reinstalled it but the other filters are all new again.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
All depends on tour areas water. I never went with a DI because my tap water was like 150-160 and after my RO it was down to like 2-3 TRS. I’d change my filters if it got over 10.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom