Is the aquarium hobby more popular with males or females?

Is the aquarium hobby more popular with males or females?

• There are more females in the hobby

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • There are more males in the hobby

Votes: 144 57.1%
  • It is even 50/50

Votes: 91 36.1%

• Total voters

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kind of a silly poll.... but...

Which gender do you think is more in to keeping these boxes of water we call aquariums?

I'm kinda thinking it might be the females that outnumber the males in our hobby. Or maybe it's just that females are more social and more active online?

TWiG87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In my limited experience on the forum it seems like a pretty even split, but I’m going to say there are more males

KribensisLover1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Let’s do a poll on that! Some screen names make it tough to tell

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think it would be 50/50

(Which isn't an option on the poll)

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I removed this comment.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I said more females but only because I am one. :D

KribensisLover1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Amazoniantanklvr said:
It seems like males would be more willing to do tank maintenance and get their hands wet.
I’m actually laughing out loud. Like actually. angelcraze

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Amazoniantanklvr said:
It seems like males would be more willing to do tank maintenance and get their hands wet.
And how have you decided on that?

We women are more than happy to get our hands dirty (I used to rebuild engines for my cars and motorcycles :p )

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I added the even 50/50 option

KribensisLover1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
pagoda said:

We women are more than happy to get our hands dirty (I used to rebuild engines for my cars and motorcycles :p )
I’m still laughing out loud. I am not going to go into the facts that negate that statement bc not worth the time. I do love you and TY for your help Amazoniantanklvr but that comment was beyond.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart said:
I’m actually laughing out loud. Like actually.@angelcraze
pagoda said:

I’m still laughing out loud. I am not going to go into the facts that negate that statement bc not worth the time. I do love you and TY for your help Amazoniantanklvr but that comment was beyond.
I was just judging form my mom. I didn't mean to offend anyone and was just making an observation (from my house).

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Amazoniantanklvr said:
pagoda said:

Similarly to that my mom and my grandma act all grossed out when I put my whole arm in the tank to fix a decoration or something lol.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
nikm128 said:
Similarly to that my mom and my grandma act all grossed out when I put my whole arm in the tank to fix a decoration or something lol.
See? I'm not the only one.

KribensisLover1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Amazoniantanklvr said:
See? I'm not the only one.
Yes but WE women on HERE don’t feel that way. My mom wouldn’t want to stick her arm in but neither would my male fiancé. So yes perhaps non hobbyists lean toward one gender but I don’t think we do on this site. Tho that’s just my opinion so I could as easily be incorrect! And you know how much I value your help you’ve given With my tanks and all the time you take helping and reassuring me and giving input. I just got defensive for us women on here who get filthy! And the men do of course as well!

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
(mod forgive me for btb posting)
I removed the comment for you SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart and pagoda!

SM1199

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It seems like there are slightly more females in the younger generation(s), and slightly more males in the older. So probably 50/50 with all taken into account.

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Controversial can of bloodworms this......

I don't think there would be any pets that are favoured more towards men or women really. All pets regardless of type have a measure of mucking out attached to them, its all part and parcel of animal care and responsibility isn't it?

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe you should have named it "Are you a Male or Female Aquarist? Lets see how many we have of each on Fishlore! Battle of the sexes style! LOL. Then be allowed to see the voters so we can see screen names and if they are male or female.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes but WE women on HERE don’t feel that way. My mom wouldn’t want to stick her arm in but neither would my male fiancé. So yes perhaps non hobbyists lean toward one gender but I don’t think we do on this site. Tho that’s just my opinion so I could as easily be incorrect! And you know how much I value your help you’ve given With my tanks and all the time you take helping and reassuring me and giving input. I just got defensive for us women on here who get filthy! And the men do of course as well!
I understand. Oh here it is probably 50/50. Mostly only guys have fish rooms though (with the exception of Rachael O'Leary).

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Amazoniantanklvr said:
I was just judging form my mom. I didn't mean to offend anyone and was just making an observation (from my house).
nikm128 said:
It is too bad you young men haven't been expose to women that have no problem doing the dirty jobs. :) I do understand where you are coming from though. I have a SIL like that. I mean she wouldn't even bait her own hook when we used to go fishing and won't feed the birds because it might tempt mice to come live in her hedge. :D
Amazoniantanklvr said:
I understand. Oh here it is probably 50/50. Mostly only guys have fish rooms though (with the exception of Rachael O'Leary).
heheheheh you're digging yourself in deeper :D

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads