Is The 1 Inch Per Gallon Rule Any Good

RYRYTHEGUY

qchris87

There are a lot more factors to think about than the 1 inch per gallon rule. It's simply outdated

RYRYTHEGUY

aquatickeeper

No, it's false. There are lots of other factors that must be taken into consideration, such as fish activeness, schools, etc.

david1978

I love that rule, how else can I put a 15" oscar in a 20 gallon tank and still have room left over. See the problem with the "rule" ,stocking is tough to get right. Tools like aquadvisor are helpful but not 100%. So tools like that and asking experienced hobbiest is probably the best route.

RYRYTHEGUY

aquatickeeper said:
No, it's false. There are lots of other factors that must be taken into consideration, such as fish activeness, schools, etc.[/QUOTE
how would corydoras go under that

qchris87

Research, honestly. Seriously Fish is a great website that can help determine what a fishes requirements are including tank size, temperature range, food requirements, etc. You can also post on here in the stocking section. There are quite a few stocking lists on this website

For example: Stocking List for 10 Gallons

Another good website but slightly more focused is Planet Catfish.

DuaneV

Its a guideline..... and not really a good one. You need to know the type of fish you're keeping, if theyre active, if they need to be in schools, etc.

RYRYTHEGUY

qchris87 said:
Research, honestly. Seriously Fish is a great website that can help determine what a fishes requirements are including tank size, temperature range, food requirements, etc. You can also post on here in the stocking section. There are quite a few stocking lists on this website

For example: Stocking List for 10 Gallons

Another good website but slightly more focused is Planet Catfish.
Thank you

pugletfan

Fishlore is a great place to get stocking suggestions. If you tell us what fish interest you, people will give you feedback.

_IceFyre_

I think it's alright in certain scenarios like stocking tanks of 20+ gallons with 1-2 inch tetras for example. I don't think anyone ever intends or interprets it as keeping a 2 foot fish in a two foot tank.

75g Discus Tank

I heard that this rule was misinterpreted.

When I did research(at the beginning of my fish keeping), O found a website that it was a square inch per gallon of water.

Which is still a bad rule to follow. These “rules” for stocking are mostly outdated.

goldface

Would you put a 12” oscar in a 12g tank?

JB92668

its out dated what u should look at is is your fish a schooling fish and compatability and water condtions

fjh

Id like to disagree with what everyone is saying to provide another point of view.
The 1" per gallon is a rule of thumb. If a neon tetra is roughly 1.5", then you could fit 13 of them in a 20 gallon tank with no tank mates (for instance).

However, people should always research the fish before they buy. What are the aggressive/territorial needs? Are they messy eaters? Do they need others kf its kwn kind, or are they best kept alone? What are the minimum tank dimensions? Etc...

So although 13 1.5" neons will work in a 20 gallon tank, 2 10" oscars is a bad choice. Really it comes down to common sense and research, and any "rule of thumb" breaks down when you look too closely.

Mike1995

even beyond schooling and activeness, the fishes full adult size is a big thing to think about. And, if you have multiples, and other species in the tank, think about all their full grown sizes. to me, it a common sense thing. Another thing is territory. Especially with pretty much all cichlids for example. Say you have a green terror, and a jack Dempsey in a 75 gallon aquarium. Sure it might be enough space to us, but there's always the possibility of one or both of them wanting to claI'm the whole tank. So sometimes its not even about a fishes size, it's a lot about their behavior and how they react with each other

david1978

I have learned that the only rule in keeping fish is there are no rules, only recommendations and gray areas. Lol

goldface

david1978 said:
I have learned that the only rule in keeping fish is there are no rules, only recommendations and gray areas. Lol
That’s true. I’m a habitual rule breaker (of course, within reason) ops:. It works for me, but may not work for others. However, no one can tell me my stocking doesn’t work. Some will even allude that I replace my fish when they die because my stocking just isn’t possible. Now that **** me off, but I try not to take it personally. Lol.

david1978

Tell me about it. Going on all conventional wisdom my tank can't exist either. Even simple things like decorations and plants have to be considered when deciding if a stocking will work or not.

Kristian Acevedo

fjh said:
Id like to disagree with what everyone is saying to provide another point of view.
The 1" per gallon is a rule of thumb. If a neon tetra is roughly 1.5", then you could fit 13 of them in a 20 gallon tank with no tank mates (for instance).

However, people should always research the fish before they buy. What are the aggressive/territorial needs? Are they messy eaters? Do they need others kf its kwn kind, or are they best kept alone? What are the minimum tank dimensions? Etc...

So although 13 1.5" neons will work in a 20 gallon tank, 2 10" oscars is a bad choice. Really it comes down to common sense and research, and any "rule of thumb" breaks down when you look too closely.
The issue is, that someone who is even moderately experienced can keep way more than 13 neon tetras in a 20 gal. So once you get into the more nitty gritty of trying to really fill out a tank (if you want to go that way) then it changes a lot

tunafax

I mean, all this new and creative math is great and all.

But, like, googling requirements on your phone for the fish you're about to impulse-buy is a lot easier lol.

Lunnietic

RYRYTHEGUY said:
how would corydoras go under that
There is more than one species of corydoras.

Which one are you looking at specifically?

Most will do great in a 20 gallon long in a group of 6.

RYRYTHEGUY

Lunnietic said:
There is more than one species of corydoras.

Which one are you looking at specifically?

Most will do great in a 20 gallon long in a group of 6.
OK

Thank you all for your info

DuaneV

fjh said:

But here's the thing. In a 20 gallon you can keep WAY more fish than that provided you have good filtration, the correct temps and habitat. You could have 30ish neons or 15-20 neons along with 6-8 bottom dwellers no problem. I don't think its a good rule in general, even when talking about small fish because there are small fish that don't belong in a 10 gallon.

Kristian Acevedo

DuaneV said:
But here's the thing. In a 20 gallon you can keep WAY more fish than that provided you have good filtration, the correct temps and habitat. You could have 30ish neons or 15-20 neons along with 6-8 bottom dwellers no problem. I don't think its a good rule in general, even when talking about small fish because there are small fish that don't belong in a 10 gallon.
Agreed, I would even be comfortable with 30 neons (though I don’t like them) and 10-12 small cories like pandas. A lot of these tanks depend more on their footprint rather than their gallons of water

InsanityShard

I find it's not something to follow, even with small schooling fish- my bristlenose catfish is only 4 inches long but needs 25 gallons to itself, mostly for territory, but it also produces more ammonia than a 10 gallon tank can handle.

aussieJJDude

The only time it holds merit IMO is the smaller 'nano' schoolers (boraras, embers, neons ect) as it fills out the tank rather nicely and still leaves plenty of room for them.

Jfl0

RYRYTHEGUY said:
According to the 1 inch per gallon rule well you can have 1 inch per g.

Is this rule any good?
Note: The following is my opinion only. I am a new fish keeper, but I have been doing a lot of research.

No. It sort of works for smaller tanks, but not for larger ones. I always advise people to usein order to more accurately determine their stock levels. My father has kept fish for decades and he still believes that 'golden rule'. What's always been done is always right, right?

Latest threads

Top Bottom