Is The 1 Inch Per Gallon Rule Any Good

qchris87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are a lot more factors to think about than the 1 inch per gallon rule. It's simply outdated

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No, it's false. There are lots of other factors that must be taken into consideration, such as fish activeness, schools, etc.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I love that rule, how else can i put a 15" oscar in a 20 gallon tank and still have room left over. See the problem with the "rule" ,stocking is tough to get right. Tools like aquadvisor are helpful but not 100%. So tools like that and asking experienced hobbiest is probably the best route.

qchris87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Research, honestly. Seriously Fish is a great website that can help determine what a fishes requirements are including tank size, temperature range, food requirements, etc. You can also post on here in the stocking section. There are quite a few stocking lists on this website

For example: Stocking List for 10 Gallons

Another good website but slightly more focused is Planet Catfish.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its a guideline..... and not really a good one. You need to know the type of fish youre keeping, if theyre active, if they need to be in schools, etc.

RYRYTHEGUY

Valued Member
Reaction score
qchris87 said:
Research, honestly. Seriously Fish is a great website that can help determine what a fishes requirements are including tank size, temperature range, food requirements, etc. You can also post on here in the stocking section. There are quite a few stocking lists on this website

For example: Stocking List for 10 Gallons

Another good website but slightly more focused is Planet Catfish.
Thank you

pugletfan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fishlore is a great place to get stocking suggestions. If you tell us what fish interest you, people will give you feedback.

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think it's alright in certain scenarios like stocking tanks of 20+ gallons with 1-2 inch tetras for example. I don't think anyone ever intends or interprets it as keeping a 2 foot fish in a two foot tank.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I heard that this rule was misinterpreted.

When I did research(at the beginning of my fish keeping), O found a website that it was a square inch per gallon of water.

Which is still a bad rule to follow. These “rules” for stocking are mostly outdated.

johnbetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
its out dated what u should look at is is your fish a schooling fish and compatability and water condtions

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Id like to disagree with what everyone is saying to provide another point of view.
The 1" per gallon is a rule of thumb. If a neon tetra is roughly 1.5", then you could fit 13 of them in a 20 gallon tank with no tankmates (for instance).

However, people should always research the fish before they buy. What are the aggressive/territorial needs? Are they messy eaters? Do they need others kf its kwn kind, or are they best kept alone? What are the minimum tank dimensions? Etc...

So although 13 1.5" neons will work in a 20g tank, 2 10" oscars is a bad choice. Really it comes down to common sense and research, and any "rule of thumb" breaks down when you look too closely.

Mike1995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
even beyond schooling and activeness, the fishes full adult size is a big thing to think about. And, if you have multiples, and other species in the tank, think about all thier full grown sizes. to me, it a common sense thing. Another thing is territory. Especially with pretty much all cichlids for example. Say you have a green terror, and a jack Dempsey in a 75 gallon aquarium. Sure it might be enough space to us, but there's always the possibility of one or both of them wanting to claim the whole tank. So sometimes its not even about a fishes size, it's alot about thier behavior and how they react with each other

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have learned that the only rule in keeping fish is there are no rules, only recommendations and gray areas. Lol

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
david1978 said:
I have learned that the only rule in keeping fish is there are no rules, only recommendations and gray areas. Lol
That’s true. I’m a habitual rule breaker (of course, within reason) ops:. It works for me, but may not work for others. However, no one can tell me my stocking doesn’t work. Some will even allude that I replace my fish when they die because my stocking just isn’t possible. Now that **** me off, but I try not to take it personally. Lol.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tell me about it. Going on all conventional wisdom my tank cant exist either. Even simple things like decorations and plants have to be considered when deciding if a stocking will work or not.

Kristian Acevedo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
fjh said:
Id like to disagree with what everyone is saying to provide another point of view.
The 1" per gallon is a rule of thumb. If a neon tetra is roughly 1.5", then you could fit 13 of them in a 20 gallon tank with no tankmates (for instance).

However, people should always research the fish before they buy. What are the aggressive/territorial needs? Are they messy eaters? Do they need others kf its kwn kind, or are they best kept alone? What are the minimum tank dimensions? Etc...

So although 13 1.5" neons will work in a 20g tank, 2 10" oscars is a bad choice. Really it comes down to common sense and research, and any "rule of thumb" breaks down when you look too closely.
The issue is, that someone who is even moderately experienced can keep way more than 13 neon tetras in a 20 gal. So once you get into the more nitty gritty of trying to really fill out a tank (if you want to go that way) then it changes a lot

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom