Is Tetra telling me the wrong information?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by AspiringAquarist, Mar 23, 2010.

1. A

AspiringAquarist Valued Member Member

I told them that my ammonia level was high (2.0) and nitrite was 0 while having TSS in the tank for four days. They told me to do a 50% water change to get the levels down to 1.0 ppm, but I asked if that would affect the TSS...this was their response:

Hello,

A water change can bring the ammonia back to a safer range. You can also reduce feeding if you have not done so already. The beneficial bacteria will establish more quickly at 1.0ppm ammonia than 2.0ppm ammonia, so it should still be beneficial.

Regards,
    TetraCare

Should I listen to their advice and go do a 50% water change? Or should I just wait out the 7-10 days?

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

3. OP
    OP
    A

Yes, I've read through that thread before I added the TSS. That's why I got curious, because the information that I got sort of contradicts the information in the Q & A.

4. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

Did you speak with them or send them an email? I am assuming that since you have a typed response it was an email. Anyway, is there any doubt that they understood you had already added the TSS or could they think that you were about to add it and your ammonia was at 2.0. That's the only thing that came to mind to me.

5. Lucy

That's what I was wondering.

What kind of makes sense to me is, that if TSS contains the correct bacteria held in some sort of liquid, that bacteria would need time to adhere to surfaces and muliply.
    Thinking out loud here, but couldn't a water change after 4 days possibly remove that bacteria?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  6. OP
    OP
    A

Well, maybe that's why in the Q & A, Tetra tells you to do a w/c and add more TSS if the ammonia gets very high.

And I made sure to make it clear that I already had TSS in the tank. This was my previous email that I had sent to Tetra Care.

To whom it may concern,
    Should I still do a 50% water change even though I have Tetra SafeStart
    added? It's been four days since I added the SafeStart. Thanks.

7. Lucy

It wouldn't be the first time we've gotten conflicting info from a company.
    Depending on who answers the e-mail or phone call.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  8. OP
    OP
    A

Hmm, so should I still do a w/c or just wait 7-10 days?

9. t

thorpbrian Valued Member Member

This is why it's recommended not to test your water parameters for the first 7 days after adding TSS. The test results will drive you nuts. Just let the TSS do it's job for at least a 10 days.....

10. OP
    OP
    A

Okay, I think keeping the test kit locked in a safe for seven days would be best for me... :)

11. Z

Zia Valued Member Member

Are your fish showing signs of stress?

I added TSS 2 days ago... sooo hard not to test! Hyper-monitoring my fish, too...

12. OP
    OP
    A

Well one's occasionally near the surface but comes down every once in while and other one has black marks at the end of its fin, probably due to ammonia poisoning :(

13. Z

Zia Valued Member Member

Hmmmmm... thinking this one through

Do you think the advice not to check your readings a) because they'll be false or b) because you'll go crazy because the readings will be all over the place and cause you to do something that would impact the effectiveness of their product?

If the product really is just bacteria, I can't see why you'd be getting a false NH3 reading -- maybe someone else can point out why. Therefore, if you believe your fish really are suffering from ammonia poisoning, I'd do a water change and add more TSS. Adding more TSS won't hurt, and the wc would get your levels down.

Just what I'd do. :)

14. OP
    OP
    A

I'm not going to do a w/c yet; I'll wait out the whole 10 days.

I couldn't help it and did a test :p
    Ammonia- 1.0 ppm
    Nitrite- 0 ppm
    Nitrate- 30 ppm

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice