Is Teflon tape safe for aquariums?

• Thread starter Jeanice
  • Start date

Jeanice

Is Teflon tape safe to use on aquarium hoses, plastic pipes, elbow joints, etc? I'm assuming it is since it's safe for humans.

Risque

I have been using it on my piping and joints for years and have not seen any negative effects on my fish. Besides, I wouldn't know what else to use if not teflon tape to prevent leakages when connecting threaded pipes/connectors.

ryanr

I agree with Risque.
I use it on my reef with no problem.

I would advise using the pink teflon if it's on a pressure line. It's a bit stronger. I used the pink teflon on all threaded joints in my reef plumbing.

And like Risque, I'm not sure if there is an alternative

Jeanice

Thank you for your experience. I decided to use it because I couldn't come up with something else. Hose clamps, maybe, but it was a strange size.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Good morning,

I also use Teflon Tape, clamps, couplings, and aquarium silicone at connection points.

Ken

Risque

I have also used regular silicone, pvc glue, fibre glass repair kits on pipes and fibre tanks without any issue as well. I would go as far as to say that: as long as it isn't detrimental to our health, it should also be fine for our fish (with the exception of copper piping for inverts).

Jeanice

Thanks all! Glad to see everyone agrees.

Top Bottom