Is Tapwater Conditioner Safe To Drink?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by halogen, Apr 14, 2017.

1. halogen

halogen New Member Member

I have no idea where to post this but is it safe for people to drink water that has been treated for aquarium use? I'm learning to brew my own kombucha and apparently need distilled water because chlorine will kill the bacteria, so I was wondering if I could just treat some tap water with my Nutrafin tapwater conditione and save money?

I know it isn't really an aquarium question but let's just pretend my kombucha scoby is a really weird aquatic pet that I trained to make tea for me hahaha.

2. Arades

Arades Valued Member Member

Im not sure if you can as i have never done it before but i wouldnt do it incase!

3. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

My API water conditioner does not have a warning on it, no poison control number, just says keep out of the reach of children.
    I wouldn't drink it though,

4. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't risk it unless it were a serious emergency, and then I'd likely just use bleach and boiling.

5. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDave Well Known Member Member

Vitamin C or ascorbic acid is probably the most palatable dechlorinator but it'd probably be cheaper to buy distilled or deionized water.

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Dechlorinated tap water isn't the same as distilled water. I would go buy some distilled water - still cheap!

7. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't drink it on purpose just in case. I have swallowed small amounts in the past when I had a less fancy siphon that I had to start by sucking on one end and I haven't died from it (yet!) however I still would avoid drinking it if possible.

8. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

Well, prime does say on the bottle "Aquarium use only" and stress coat+ says "not to be used on fish intended for human consumption" so I wouldn't drink conditioner on purpose. I wouldn't even drink aquarium water on purpose either.

9. OP
    OP
    halogen

halogen New Member Member

Thanks for the input everyone! That was my guess too, I was just curious :)

10. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, I won't drink it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice