Is Tank Ready For Fish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Kris23, Aug 4, 2017.

1. K

Kris23 Valued Member Member

Hi All,

So I've had my tank running since September 2016 (nearly a year!). This will sound crazy, but it's still fishless. It's a 45 gallon planted aquarium and I did a fishless cycle with ammonia. I did the 24 hour test and completed the cycling process. Eventually, I got some neons. Unfortunately, they were sick (I should have known since they were on sale at the pet store) and they died in two weeks. After that, I kinda lost my motivation. The tank has been running, I've been doing water changes and putting in Seachem fertilizers (Excel, Potassium, Phosphorus, Iron, Flourish), but I stopped putting in ammonia.

My question is, does my filter still contain the beneficial bacteria? It's been a while, but they definitely developed. Please let me know your thoughts.

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

No

3. Claire Bear

Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

In order for the good bacteria to grow, it has to be fed-waste of fish would have fed it. This is the reason that you have to slowly add fish-to build up the bacteria to keep up with your bio load. So no is the short and sweet answer but you could start that cycle again! :)

4. OP
    OP
    K

Kris23 Valued Member Member

Makes sense. The good thing is that I have patience lol thanks for the explanation

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice