Is Superglue Safe?

qquake2k

For fixing a broken plastic ornament? Or should I try to use silicone?

Attachments

• bridge01.jpg
    bridge01.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 80
  • bridge02.jpg
    bridge02.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 80
  • bridge03.jpg
    bridge03.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 82

Crispii

Superglue is aquarium safe.

DuaneV

100%. Be sure its cyanoacrylate as the active ingredient. You can take a plant out of a tank, squirt glue on it and put it BACK in the tank and stick it to a log or rock. Safe and reliable.

qquake2k

Thank you for the quick replies.

Msdp11009

Use the gel formula. And yes

qquake2k

I used liquid. Seems to be holding well.

Attachments

• bridge01.jpg
    bridge01.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 79
  • bridge04.jpg
    bridge04.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 78
  • bridge06.jpg
    bridge06.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 78
  • bridge08.jpg
    bridge08.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 83

Jhawk117

Is superglue safe for my aquarium fish? I just bought a castle off of Amazon for my tank and when it arrived, one of the towers were broken. It didn't look that bad so I was thinking I could superglue it back on but wasn't sure whether it would be safe my for my fish

BigManAquatics

Superglue with cyanoacrylate should be safe to use.

StarGirl

Yes just make sure it is the gel kind and not the regular old super glue. Regular Gorilla glue you have to let cure for like 7 days dont use that. It would be fine though if you can wait.

Jhawk117

Is there a special kind of superglue I could use that I could pick up from my LFS?

EnderKing

Yup pretty sure superglue’s safe but I’d recommend getting another castle just to be safe I know It might be expensive

BigManAquatics

They might. Otherwise a hardware store or walmart should be fine

Jhawk117

Or what if I were to use regular tape? Would that be safe for the fish?

StarGirl

Make sure it says super glue gel on the package and it will be fine.

BigManAquatics

No tape. Fish would probably try to eat.

StarGirl

I believe the regular kind has vapors that release from it. Ever see the white residue when you super glue something? I believe that is the reason.

PAcanis

Amazon? Have them replace it. It's the only way the sellers will learn. Problem solved.
But it's a good idea to know which glue in any case.

RayClem

SuperGlue is a cyano-acrylic ester. In the presence of moisture (dampen the parts to be glued), the ester polymerizes to form a solid that bonds the two surfaces together. The reaction takes place almost instantly. Because of the polymerization, there are no residues that can cause toxicity issues in an aquarium.

Cyanoacrylates come in a variety of viscosities. For porous surfaces such as a broken ceramic ornament, the higher viscosity gel products are ideal.

DuaneV

Cyanoacrylate glue (Super Glue) is safe, 100%. Use the gel kind, its way better/easier. DO NOT fall for the stuff the pet shops sell. Same stuff, 3 times as expensive. Its offensive that theyre putting out the same stuff, slapping their name on it and selling it for such a markup.

MasterPython

Originally super glue came in a spray can and was sprayed into horrific open wounds to close them temporarily. It is very safe stuff.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Spidey
  • Question
Replies
Views
Sofiafish17
  • Question
Replies
Views
mikki080