Is something yummy growing on my swordtail?

Sprinkle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi guys, I know it is a stupid question, but very true.
I noticed that my two other swordtails, male and female, having a nibble on my other fat swordtail, I mean, is something yum growing on my swordtail? :D

Deku-Cory

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've noticed sometimes with livebearers that the other fish will kinda peck at pregnant ones that are going to give birth soon. So maybe that?

Sprinkle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Deku-Cory said:
I've noticed sometimes with livebearers that the other fish will kinda peck at pregnant ones that are going to give birth soon. So maybe that?
Maybe. I am very good with live bearing fish but that is the only question I don't know lol. The fat one is fat naturally and she seems to have a black gravid spot appearing orange because of her colouration, sometimes I think it's her uterus as I never saw the male using his gonopodium.

Attachments

Oriongal

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Male swordtails will peck at a female's vent and/or belly, sometimes even sort of charge at them and hit them in the side when they're pregnant.

I don't know why they do it either, it seems to be another form of courtship. I say that because it's often been a prelude to him then sidling up next to her, trying to make sure he'll be the father of her next brood.

The females don't seem any more bothered by it than they are by the backward swimming in front of/next to them. I have some females that could easily put any but the largest of males in his place, but they don't unless he gets too persistent.

When a female is nipping at another female, it's typically a challenge to or reiteration of pecking order. Females maintain a hierarchy, and the top/alpha female gets first dibs on food.

Females can display and trade blows like two males, if they are closely matched in size/temperament and one doesn't quickly give way to the other. Generally they do get along, at least as long as everyone is okay with their place in the hierarchy. And most of the time any challenges are also sorted out fairly quickly as well.

Sprinkle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oriongal said:
Male swordtails will peck at a female's vent and/or belly, sometimes even sort of charge at them and hit them in the side when they're pregnant.

I don't know why they do it either, it seems to be another form of courtship. I say that because it's often been a prelude to him then sidling up next to her, trying to make sure he'll be the father of her next brood.

The females don't seem any more bothered by it than they are by the backward swimming in front of/next to them. I have some females that could easily put any but the largest of males in his place, but they don't unless he gets too persistent.

When a female is nipping at another female, it's typically a challenge to or reiteration of pecking order. Females maintain a hierarchy, and the top/alpha female gets first dibs on food.

Females can display and trade blows like two males, if they are closely matched in size/temperament and one doesn't quickly give way to the other. Generally they do get along, at least as long as everyone is okay with their place in the hierarchy. And most of the time any challenges are also sorted out fairly quickly as well.
Even my other female nibbles on her vent. Never saw the male using his gonpodium.

Oriongal

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's pretty quick when it happens, so unless you're watching them 24/7 you usually can't say for sure whether they've mated or not. The only sure way to know is by pregnancy in a known virgin female, or else by resulting fry that look like the male (if he doesn't look exactly like the female).

If he's nibbling at her, he's interested: and will mate with her at some point, provided she allows it.

Sprinkle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oriongal said:
It's pretty quick when it happens, so unless you're watching them 24/7 you usually can't say for sure whether they've mated or not. The only sure way to know is by pregnancy in a known virgin female, or else by resulting fry that look like the male (if he doesn't look exactly like the female).

If he's nibbling at her, he's interested: and will mate with her at some point, provided she allows it.
Ok. Thanks, I will PM you for further information?

Oriongal

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sure. Am on my phone so replies may be a little slow, but happy to help if I can.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads