Is something wrong with my plants?

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Over the last couple of days i noticed a few plants browning. Is something wrong? Can i fix this now before it gets bad?
20200521_161655.jpg
20200521_161740.jpg
20200521_162002.jpg
20200521_162018.jpg
20200521_162029.jpg

Best Answer - View -Mak-'s answer
OP
SnookusFish

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I dose fourish once a week and have tropica aquasoil. I just use the stock lighting in the lid currently but these are low light plants anyway. The tank also gets some indirect sunlight

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
SnookusFish said:
I dose fourish once a week and have tropica aquasoil. I just use the stock lighting in the lid currently but these are low light plants anyway. The tank also gets some indirect sunlight
Flourish doesnt require all the right micro & macro nutrients aquatic plants need to fully survive. I would switch to ThriveC All-in-one fertilizer. It contains extra nitrates as well the plants need to live off of .

OP
SnookusFish

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks. Can u send me a link to it please. I cant find it

Utar

Reaction score
I agree Thrive is the way to go. You can also order from amazon.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Correct me if I'm wrong but is the brown stuff the actual leaves or is it diatoms?

OP
SnookusFish

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
-Mak- said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but is the brown stuff the actual leaves or is it diatoms?
Im actually not sure. When wc today i went around the olants thiugh and nothing changed. It could be diatoms, how can i fix that?

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you know what the phosphate levels are and your nitrates? How often do you do water changes and how much do you change? I would also recommend getting Nilocg Thrive C, they sell it on Amazon.
When was the tank set up? How long are lights on for?

OP
SnookusFish

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dennis57 said:
Do you know what the phosphate levels are and your nitrates? How often do you do water changes and how much do you change? I would also recommend getting Nilocg Thrive C, they sell it on Amazon.
When was the tank set up? How long are lights on for?
Not sure about phosphates and my nitrate test kit ran out. I change water 30% each week. Tank set up 2 months ago, lights on for 8 hours

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It could be diatoms, but I would try the Thrive C, and also if you can use API CO2 Booster on a daily basis. You can also put in some Amano shrimp, I believe they will eat that right up

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
SnookusFish said:
Im actually not sure. When wc today i went around the olants thiugh and nothing changed. It could be diatoms, how can i fix that?
Diatoms are pretty common in immature tanks. The way to fix it is to ensure you have the healthiest plant growth possible.

OP
SnookusFish

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have amanos in my other tank but in this one i have cherries. Will they not eat diatoms? I will probably buy thriveC and flourish excel too

Utar

Reaction score
To me it doesn't look diatoms. I know diatoms because my 2 year old 29 gallon is infested with the stuff. The leaves on my live plants are covered with the stuff. If it is diatoms, then only a small part and not the whole problem with your plants. Diatoms is a type of algae, but I am not sure if your shrimp eat algae, but nerite snails do and they will eat this stuff. My one and only black racing nerite snail leaves a clean trail behind him as he eats it. I call him Slaughter. lol

Get the thrive everyone is suggesting.

OP
SnookusFish

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I live in the UK and im finding it impossible to find thrive... without paying like 50£ shipping. Anone know where i can get it

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
SnookusFish said:
I live in the UK and im finding it impossible to find thrive... without paying like 50£ shipping. Anone know where i can get it
If you're in the UK, go for Aquascaper liquid plant food. Very similar, and formulated with the help of George Farmer, professional aquascaper (his youtube videos are also a great help/resource). Most all-in-ones are pretty much the same, plus/minus 1 or 2 elements

OP
SnookusFish

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
-Mak- said:
If you're in the UK, go for Aquascaper liquid plant food. Very similar, and formulated with the help of George Farmer, professional aquascaper (his youtube videos are also a great help/resource). Most all-in-ones are pretty much the same, plus/minus 1 or 2 elements
Thanks, i ordered the 500ml. Ill let you know if it helps. How long should it take to see results and also what should i do with my flourish?

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
SnookusFish said:
Thanks, i ordered the 500ml. Ill let you know if it helps. How long should it take to see results and also what should i do with my flourish?
Well if the browning here is diatoms and other leaves are green and healthy, there won't really be much visible difference besides perhaps growth rate. If these leaves are brown from deficiency then new leaves will stay green. Fertilizer is as much a preventative tool as a growth helper.

New Threads