Is Something Wrong With My Betta Fish??

rileyo

I got my betta fish on sunday from petco and I noticed when I got him he had a little black spot on him but I figured it was just a different color on him since he’s all white.
i’ve noticed it’s grown bigger and I couldn’t find anything online that said if he was sick or not, please help!!
IMG_4571.JPG

Iboughtmykidfish

I believe most white bettas will eventually develop some coloring. I have a koi betta and she changed from white with blue spots to black with blue spots in a matter of a couple weeks. It was noticeable from day to day. I would say its most likely just the color coming in. Idk of any betta issues that would cause a big black spot. Can you take a pic from the top just incase?

rileyo

I believe most white bettas will eventually develop some coloring. I have a koi betta and she changed from white with blue spots to black with blue spots in a matter of a couple weeks. It was noticeable from day to day. I would say its most likely just the color coming in. Idk of any betta issues that would cause a big black spot. Can you take a pic from the top just incase?

IMG_4580.JPG
IMG_4579.JPG

I thought it was just coloring too but it started to expand

rileyo

I already posted about this but i’m going to add more information.
This is Thor, I got him Sunday from Petco and he is a white opal betta. He lives in a 3 gallon tank with a heater that shuts off once it gets to the desired temperature, and I feed him floating worm pellets. He has a betta leaf that he likes to rest on. When I got him I noticed he had a black spot but I figured it was apart of his coloring. Since Sunday, that spot has started to grow- not spread, literally grow outwards. I looked up everything I could and found nothing, can someone please tell me if I should be worried or not???

Coradee

Welcome to Fishlore Rileyo, I’ve merged your threads, it’s easier for members following if all the information is in one place

Iboughtmykidfish

That looks weirdly raised. I wonder if it's some kind of tumor? Does his tank have a filter and was it cycled when you brought him home? Do you have a test kit for the water?

rileyo

That looks weirdly raised. I wonder if it's some kind of tumor? Does his tank have a filter and was it cycled when you brought him home? Do you have a test kit for the water?

Yes, and yes. I’ll test the water right now.

rileyo

Everything is right where it should be.

Iboughtmykidfish

The more I look at it the more I think its a tumor. I believe they are benign in most cases. He should be fine as long as it doesn't impair his swimming or eating.

On a side note, it looks like his back fins have a little ragged spot. Just double check that there's nothing sharp in his tank and the filter flow or intake, isn't too strong. Those betta leaves can sometimes get sharp on the bottom or the metal can poke out. So just check it regularly. If you keep his water clean he should heal up in no time. He also wouldn't hate you if you added a plant or 2, or even a moss ball. Good luck with him, hes a handsome guy.

rileyo

The more I look at it the more I think its a tumor. I believe they are benign in most cases. He should be fine as long as it doesn't impair his swimming or eating.

On a side note, it looks like his back fins have a little ragged spot. Just double check that there's nothing sharp in his tank and the filter flow or intake, isn't too strong. Those betta leaves can sometimes get sharp on the bottom or the metal can poke out. So just check it regularly. If you keep his water clean he should heal up in no time. He also wouldn't hate you if you added a plant or 2, or even a moss ball. Good luck with him, hes a handsome guy.

Okay good, he’s eating normally and he’s swimming around fine so I don’t think it’s affected him.

I noticed that this morning too actually but when I looked at pictures from the first day I got him, they were like that too.
Thank you so so much!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
Megaanemp
Replies
Views
Repolie
Replies