is something wrong with my balloon molly?

1. bbw_luverly Initiate Member

My balloon Molly, when not chasing the female black Molly, will sit in one spot and wag from side to side, not just his tail but his whole body wags back and forth while he stays in one spot, not hitting anything in the tank, this is often accompanied by opening and closing his mouth fast. Is that something I should worry about?

2. jamus34 Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!!!

Based on your writeup there looks to be a couple of issues...1) we have no idea on tank parameters (water conditions) 2) You do not know about the nitrogen cycle and 3) if that pleco is a common your tank is overstocked and you'll have breeding issues with the molly's / guppies.

Anyway, I think you're molly might be experiencing stress from ammonia poisoning given that your tank probably isn't cycled yet.

I would suggest getting a liquid test kit (API is the one most suggested here) ASAP to start getting readings on your tank.

The pleco will end up getting way too big for that tank...I think the minimum suggested tank size is 55 but possibly even bigger than that; you'll need a new home or bigger tank if you want to keep him.

Read up on the nitrogen cycle (should autolink); I would also suggest daily water changes with water conditioner until you can get a test kit to give the fish the best chance possible of survival.

Also, the reason people suggest not keeping molly's and guppies together is that they crossbreed.

Hope this helps and good luck!!!!

3. bbw_luverly Initiate Member

I have been doing daily partial water changes, working our way through the cycle, and according to my in tank ammonia test(I know I know, they aren't very accurate but its what I have at the moment until I can afford a better test kit) the ammonia is at the lowest its been yet. I'm using prime with partial water changes now, whereas before I was using aqueon water conditioner. I've also used tetra startzyme and tetra ammoniasafe, but stopped using them when I got prime as was advised. I do know about the cycle, and wish I could post my tank parameters, but until I can get a better test kit I've been doing 25-50% water changes daily. If it is a common pleco, as I believe, then he will be going into my sisters 150g tank as soon as he's big enough, right now he's maybe 2-3 inches long at most, I am aware he will outgrow the current space but I cannot return him, and my sisters sharks will kill him at this size, so I am keeping him until he gets a little bigger(between 5&6 inches at least).

I think my guppies are gay. They avoid the female Molly completely, though they keep trying to mate with each other, and with the male Molly. When I found out my female was a female I was worried about cross breeding, even posted a thread asking if that could happen, but after watching my tank for hours every day I've seen the guppies consistently try to stay away from the female. They dash away if she randomly swims anywhere close.

As for my Molly acting strange he's been doing it from day one, and was even doing it when my tank had no ammonia at the beginning... Would that still be stress from ammonia poisoning if it has been going on from day one? I've looked for other symptoms of ammonia poisoning (as I did lose my Angel fish to ammonia) such as redness around the gills etc, but he looks healthy, eats like he's healthy, everything point to health except his wagging....

4. jamus34 Member Member

Hmmm, not sure. I've never kept mollies but it might have been rehoming stress combined with ammonia stress later on also.

Also, don't quote me on this but a tank that full plus I think they are all high waste producers you probably will get ammonia day one.

I think the water is you biggest issue right now. I'd suggest keeping up with daily pwc's with Prime and to pick up a liquid test kit as your next purchase.

5. bbw_luverly Initiate Member

My tank has only 5 fish, and is 29g... Is that really to full? 2 mollies, 2 guppies, and one pleco... And they are all pretty small, most under an inch. I am planning on a test kit as my next purchase, about a week from now.