Is soft water safe? Any q on python water changer..

NearMeBettas

Hay! I've been looking into getting the python water change and full system. I see people hooking it upto there bathroom sink, draining it, and then filling it. I only problem is that the only sink that hasn't been through our water softener is in the kitchen. It has no hot or cold controls on it, and I think it's 2 small for any of there adapters. Is it safe to use straight softened water? If so is it safe after I've been using hard water (400+ppm)? Anyone have experience with their python system? Does it work even just to empty the tank?

Freshfishguy

Hay! I've been looking into getting the python water change and full system. I see people hooking it upto there bathroom sink, draining it, and then filling it. I only problem is that the only sink that hasn't been through our water softener is in the kitchen. It has no hot or cold controls on it, and I think it's 2 small for any of there adapters. Is it safe to use straight softened water? If so is it safe after I've been using hard water (400+ppm)? Anyone have experience with their python system? Does it work even just to empty the tank?
I love my python. It doesn’t work with my sink or bathtub, so I actually hook mine up to my shower. See what’s up with your bathtubs and showers, one of them could work. I’m not 100% sure, but I believe it’s generally highly discouraged to use water that has been softened for aquariums. There are a lot of threads on this already though — here’s a good one for reference on that Use water from water softener | Freshwater Aquarium Discussion Forum | 440403.

If you were to transition from very hard water to soft water or using water in general with very different parameters, you would probably want to do no more than 50% water changes, but even possibly 30% to prevent drastically altering the parameters of the water. The most important thing would be to make sure you don’t swing the KH in your tank more than 2 points because doing so can negatively impact livestocks’ osmotic regulation.

CindiL

Hi, your KH will be the same in both the hard and softened water but your GH will be absolutely zero which isn’t a good thing. You’ll need to replenish those minerals, calcium, magnesium with something like SeaChem Replenish or Equilibrium and SeaChem Fresh Trace.

I don’t use a python so can’t speak to that.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Quill
Replies
Views
Grumpyfish32
Replies
Views
Lacey D
Replies
Views