Is she sterile?

Discussion in 'Betta Breeding' started by Algae Eater, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Algae Eater

Algae Eater Well Known Member Member

I've heard that black female bettas are sterile. How much black does it take to make a female sterile? I've got a blue/green crowntail female and she has a pure black face and I'd like to know if it would be possible to breed her. Here's her picture.

Attached Files:

2. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Balck Melano females are infertile ;) Black pigmentation is natural but in Melano's this is increased to such a degree that it impacts the ability of the eggs to develop. Your female is showing a normal "spread irridecence" pattern. A black head like her's is sometimes referred to as a "black mask" I believe.
    I couldn't find a good image but here's a  about the various "black" bettas.

3. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

This is a black melano female...And yes, they are sterile your female is a blue with a black head not a melano...

Attached Files:

4. OP
    OP
    Algae Eater

Algae Eater Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the clarification! I guess I just had bits and pieces of the truth and got worried. I am really looking forward to making a "trial run" to see if breeding bettas might be something I'd like to do.

That's a beautiful Betta girl, MM!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice