Is she squared off?

1. BonBon Member Member

This is my pregnant Molly's first pregnancy - or at least I think she's pregnant. She is probably not having many babies, so I'm having a hard time telling if she's 'squared off' yet.

Attached Files:

2. kingguppy9000 Member Member

Having 50 babies takes time man, if it's a live bearing fish and it looks pregnant then chances are that it's pregnant.
    A watched pot never boils.

3. BonBon Member Member

So does that mean she's not squared off? Patience was never really my strong suit... :)

4. Aster Well Known Member Member

I'm not an expert on mollies but... Her swimming position doesn't look right to me. Does she always swim like that?

5. BonBon Member Member

The pictures appear sideways on my screen... The green gravel should be at the bottom of the pic (obviously). In the first picture she is in the process of swimming to the surface.

6. kingguppy9000 Member Member

You can be impatient as much as you like, but it won't speed things up.

7. BonBon Member Member

I know :)...

8. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

OP doesn't seem impatient at all, they just want to know if their fish is looking squared off or not.

9. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

I have 3 female mollies, you should expect any mature female livebearer to be already pregnant when you buy them. 1 of mine gave birth the night i bought them. The other 2 are looking squared off but the thing is I've had them for 4 weeks now and I'm not sure if they will ever give birth lol.

She definitely looks pregnant and squared but it could still take a couple of weeks. I think they are pregnant for roughly 4-5 weeks so mine should pop any day now.

My advice to you is that mollies have a heavy bioload, so unless you actually have room for them as adults, i wouldn't worry about saving the fry. I have 3 adults in a 30 gallon and i absolutely do not want any more mollies. The fry will get eaten, or survive by hiding in plants and caves. I won't go out of my way to keep them from being a snack.

I managed to save 5 fry from the first birth, 4 died the next morning but 1 survived so it lived in a fry box until a few days ago because i accidentally released it into the tank during a water change (i wasn't paying attention to the box and knocked it sideways). I didn't want to release it until it was 2 months old, but at 4 weeks it was large enough to stay out of the filter intake tube and too large to be a snack. I tried catching it to put it back but i realized it's probably safe as long as the adults aren't harassing it.

Use your own judgment :) just telling you what my experience was and what im doing for the next 2 births. Also i have no males. Just 3 females. The fry is not easy to tell boy or girl until it's a little older.

10. BonBon Member Member

Thank you so much. Also how can you tell what type of Molly fry they are? My sailfin Molly gave birth the day after I got her. I had no idea what to do and didn't even know she was pregnant, so I lost most of the babies and the mother. Only one survived. She will be a month old on Friday. How can I tell what type her dad was?

11. kingguppy9000 Member Member

You cant, you can only make an educated guess based on how it looks as it gets bigger.

12. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

My fry looks Dalmatian because it has a black dot on its side but its spine and tail are stripey, not like Dalmatian. Momma is a dalmation tho.