Is she sick?!?

andiuk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey guys... Well, okay, so one of my Dwarf Honey Gouramis has a little red zit just next to her mouth... there doesn't appear to be any missing scales or raised scales... it's definately not white spot... and she doesn't seem even the slightest bit sick or distressed, so I can't actually figure out if there's anything wrong with her or not!

Any ideas?

Literally the only way I can describe it is as a smallish red spot... like a teenager with a pimple - which is what I'd assume it was if I thought fish could actually get those!

Help!

Andy

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do you have a pic? She's not been scratching on anything? Did it just appear suddenly or has it been growing from a smaller spot? Is it growing in area since you noticed it?

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I saw a thread somewhere in here where a couple of people had labyrinth fish that had some sort of pimple type thing on their heads that, at some point, burst open. The fish ended up covered in some sort of fungal growth. #1, don't use Melafix (I think that's the brand.) That ended up killing one of the fish. It's got something in it that doesn't agree with labyrinth fish (which guorami are part of) I'd have a quarantine tank ready and a supply of a good, labyrinth fish-safe anti-fungal med ready. (If you betta people could toss out a few names for Andiuk, that would be great. I'll need them, too, as I'll have a betta soon)
Not trying to scare you, but what happened to the others suggested that, once things went really bad, the fish needed immediate treatment. I'm not trying to scare you or worry you excessively, but I want you and your fish to have as much of a chance as possible.
I hope I'm wrong. It could just be a parasite, a damaged scale, or a benign viral infection (pretty much a fishy version of a pimple).

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Melafix and Pimafix are not safe for any fish that have a Labyrinth organ. This would include:

Perch
Combtail
Betta of any variety
Gourami of any variety
Ctenopoma
Paradisefish

and even though it is not a Labyrinth fish for some reason the following also needs to be included

Pencilfish

The above named drugs cause very horrible deaths to the fish they are used on and I personally and at least one or two other members of this forum can also say that they have. Please learn from our mistakes.

The following meds are safe for fungal infections for the fish we own:

Jungle Labs Fungus Clear Tank Buddies (They are Fizzy Tablets)
MarOxy

If you have questions about medications for a certain fish there is a good resource at the Drs. Foster and Smith Customer Service. They keep Vet Technicians on call to answer what medications are appropriate for a type of fish for a type of infection so you will not be medicating a fish with an improper medication. You just have to be careful in the Melafix and Pimafix issue as they do have a tendency to recommend it yet,

Rose

andiuk

Valued Member
Reaction score
okay, thanks guys... i'll have to try and get a pic (thou it might not be visable as it is only a small spot)...

and nope, apart from that she has no other symptoms...

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
andiuk said:
okay, thanks guys... i'll have to try and get a pic (thou it might not be visable as it is only a small spot)...

and nope, apart from that she has no other symptoms...
That's great. It will likely stay that way. I just wanted you to be ready to treat if the little girl gets something worse.

andiuk

Valued Member
Reaction score
hmmm, well, if anything it appears that this is now going on it's own... i guess it was just a knock or something afterall!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
andiuk said:
hmmm, well, if anything it appears that this is now going on it's own... i guess it was just a knock or something afterall!
cool.. good to hear that.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
FLBettaCouple said:
Strange... that is the exact quote, down to the smiley, that I was going to write when I read Andiuk's post.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
sirdarksol said:
FLBettaCouple said:
Strange... that is the exact quote, down to the smiley, that I was going to write when I read Andiuk's post.
The Bettas! They're controlling out thoughts! We are one! Must feed.. must feed.. must feed..

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom