Is She Interested In Him?

1. chibijeanbean17

chibijeanbean17 New Member Member

I've got two black orchid crowntails that I'm hoping to breed this winter.
    Yes, I have jars, a fully equipped grow out tank, places for the fry to go, etc.; all I need to know is if my girl is even interested in my boy or not.
    He's got a couple of bubble nests going, and when I float her in his tank to condition them, he dances and flares for her non-stop. She pecks at the cup and points herself downward, which I've read is a sign of submission; she is also super full of eggs, and yes, I'm positive it isn't a food baby as I feed them only every other day. My issue is she is black as night and has some dragon scale and I can not for the LIFE of me see any type of lines on her.
    Compared to how some of my other females have reacted to my expensive breeder boy that won't even bubble nest *scoffs*, she really seems to be flirting, but I don't want to do this if I'm going to end up with one or more dead bettas.
    Any advice would be appreciated!
    IMG_3159.JPG IMG_3161.JPG

2. Ken Ooi

Ken Ooi Valued Member Member

We can't predict what would happen but maybe 10 minutes in the tank brothel together would give you some direction where all this is heading lol. Good luck with the breeding program

3. OP
    OP
    chibijeanbean17

Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to keep close watch just in case :)

4. Bettatude

Bettatude Well Known Member Member

Well since you stated any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

There are too many Bettas in the world, already. Too many end up in cups at LFS where they live miserable lives. Some get lucky and find a good home but too many suffer in dirty small cups, sometimes for months then eventually die without living near their life expectancy. If those in the Betta community continue to breed adding more Bettas to an already overpopulated situation then more Bettas are less likely to get a home and will die.

Bettas in cups at LFS are no different than dogs and cats in shelters, it's even worse for Bettas IMO.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

5. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I would start by reading this:

Step by Step guide to breeding Bettas

and this:

So you want to breed bettas: Responsible Breeding

Betta breeding is complex, you will need at least three tanks to start. One for male, one for female, and one for the actual breeding. Then grow out tanks for the babies. Babies will have to separated since they will eventually fight, especially males. This all costs a lot of money, and takes a lot of space.

6. OP
    OP
    chibijeanbean17

In a lot of ways I agree with you, that's why I've held off for as long as I have (3 years or so now).
    I really want to experience breeding, but at the same time, I don't want to create a life that can't/won't be cared for.
    Thank you for your opinion, I do appreciate it.

7. OP
    OP
    chibijeanbean17

Yes, as I stated, I know all of this and am already prepared in that sense. The only question I had was about the possible lack of her vertical striping. Thank you for the information though, I will absolutely add it to my collection.