Is She Holding?? Question

1. Nomer Penaranda

Nomer Penaranda Initiate Member

So Im suppose to have an all male peacock tank which I ordered guaranteed male, but now it seems like one is holding?

More pics

Attached Files:

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

I would say yes, she is holding. Definitely a she btw, rounded rather than pointed dorsal and anal fins, plus I don't see any color whereas a male peacock would have at least some blue on the face if it's 2.5+in long.

3. OP
    OP
    Nomer Penaranda

Well i guess im getting hybrid babies lol

4. Demeter

I wouldn't really call them hybrids, peacocks are peacocks. At least she spawned with another peacock rather than say, a mbuna or hap. Shouldn't be hard to give away peacock fry, if you choose to raise them. I'd see about re-homing her after she spits though, a single female in an all male tank will probably lead to problems.

5. OP
    OP
    Nomer Penaranda

Yes I completely agree with that and Im also looking forward to what its gonna look like

6. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Peacocks are not just Peacocks. There are several species in the genus Aulonocara, and there is a strong possibility of hybrids. Without knowing what species she is, or what species she spawned with, it should be assumed that the fry are hybrid Peacocks. And they won't be the desirable hybrids like the OB Peacocks.

7. OP
    OP
    Nomer Penaranda

Got it, but I sill wanna see what it turns out, wont be selling it

8. Demeter

I won't argue about there being different species (I know there are), but often times all male peacocks are a pretty color, and everyone likes a pretty peacock. I see peacocks as labradors of the African cichlid world, you have chocolate labs, yellow labs, black labs (then there's golden retrievers which I feel are basically the same). They are all labs and whatever colors breed together you still end up with a lab of some sort.

Of course the pure strains of labs/peacocks are far more desirable and expensive, you shouldn't have much of a problem finding them homes. Peacocks are just that type of fish that are easy to care for, relatively peaceful and all around great fish, much like the labrador retriever.

9. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Bad analogy. Dogs are all one species, Labradors would be like one variety of a single species. Peacocks are many species, some small, some large, and all quite different. The match to your analogy of chocolate, yellow, and black Labs would be different colors of say, Aulonocara jacobfriebergi Swallowtail.

Hybrids are not worth anything if you admit that they are hybrids, except for the OB lines. OP does not plan on selling or giving any away, that is a good thing.

10. OP
    OP
    Nomer Penaranda

I dont know if this is the same are hybrids "split genes"? Just trying to understand when people say split gene