Is Seachem Prime the best conditioner?

Dan12boy

I pretty much just want to know if seachem prime is the best water conditioner since I see it recommended everywhere. I have the API one but I wanna know if it'd be better for me to get the seachem prime.

philly27

seachem prime will detoxify small amounts of ammonia and nitrite up to 1ppm combined. its widely known as the best water conditioner.

Upvote 0

Dan12boy

seachem prime will detoxify small amounts of ammonia and nitrite up to 1ppm combined. its widely known as the best water conditioner.
Wow thank you! I feel like I wasted my money with the API one then. Definitely getting the seachem prime once I can.

Upvote 0

Lucy

To me, Prime is economical. 2 drops per gallon but if I need it I will buy different brands depending on where I'm shopping.
As long as they remove chlorine, chloramine and detox heavy metals, I'm good.

If I had a fish with damaged fins Stress coat with be my choice since it helps with healing their slime coat.

Why do you feel like you wasted money on API's brand?

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Being a new fishkeeper with a cycling tank I would use Prime 100%. The API keep around, you will be able to use it once everything is established and running smoothly. It won't go bad in a few months.

Upvote 0

darkcat

I use Jungle Start Right and Prime. I use Prime to detoxify ammonia in my fish-in cycle. I never knew that it's two drops per gallon. How do you do the drops? Mine is using the caps. I used to have a small tank which is 5 gallon and was very hard to use Prime because 5ml is 50 gallon. Way different I needed to use about 0.5 mL and was really hard to measure that. It's not wasting your money if you didn't get Prime. The only thing that matters is that if it's safe for your fish and has worked for you.

Upvote 0

Dechi

I’m not overly fond of Prime. The belief that it detoxifies ammonia is controversial. Some people don’t believe it does anything.

Back in the days, Prime didn’t exist, or wasn‘t as popular as there was no internet. We used whatever they had at the LFS. I never used Prime before I read about it a few years ago only. To me it makes no difference and I don’t intend to buy anymore once my bottle is empty. I’ll go back to anything that doesn’t stink…

Upvote 0

Dan12boy

To me, Prime is economical. 2 drops per gallon but if I need it I will buy different brands depending on where I'm shopping.

If I had a fish with damaged fins Stress coat with be my choice since it helps with healing their slime coat.

Why do you feel like you wasted money on API's brand?
Because a lot of people say Seachem Prime actually helps the fish more than just by taking away chlorine and chloramine.

Upvote 0

Lucy

I don't think you wasted your money unless you have to use more product for the same volume of water as another water conditioner, if that makes you feel any better.
Unless cycling ith fish, then I agree, it better since it claims to detox ammonia. :)

I never knew that it's two drops per gallon. How do you do the drops?

The smallest bottle of Prime has a tip that you can squeeze drops. I keep that and refill from larger bottles or you can use an eye dropper

Sorry for the off topic post Dan12boy

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

API is quite concentrated as well, maybe not quite so much as prime, but this 16 oz bottle of API i have been using for almost 2 years now, and i will probably finally finish it off this weekend! For what its worth.

But a lot start with prime and keep using prime just because that is what they know. Not to mentiin it takes forever to use it up.

Upvote 0

sairving

Does Prime ever expire and do you tell if it does?

Upvote 0

Lucy

I don't know. If it does there's probably a date on the bottle.

Upvote 0

Dan12boy

I don't think you wasted your money unless you have to use more product for the same volume of water as another water conditioner, if that makes you feel any better.
Unless cycling ith fish, then I agree, it better since it claims to detox ammonia. :)

The smallest bottle of Prime has a tip that you can squeeze drops. I keep that and refill from larger bottles or you can use an eye dropper

Sorry for the off topic post Dan12boy
Oh no it's okay it wasn't off topic. But yes I am cycling with fish, I think the cycle's like done though since ammonia and nitrites have been coming up as 0ppm, still watching nitrates. In the future I might switch to prime since like you said it helps detox ammonia so that would be good for my fish. I read that it just like coats the ammonia kinda for 24hrs giving the bacteria more time to get rid of all of it.

Upvote 0

sairving

I don't know. If it does there's probably a date on the bottle.

I'll have to take a look at the bottle.

Upvote 0

Dan12boy

Being a new fishkeeper with a cycling tank I would use Prime 100%. The API keep around, you will be able to use it once everything is established and running smoothly. It won't go bad in a few months.
Sadly I didn't know this and am using API. I think my cycling is going pretty smoothly so far though!
API is quite concentrated as well, maybe not quite so much as prime, but this 16 oz bottle of API i have been using for almost 2 years now, and i will probably finally finish it off this weekend! For what its worth.

But a lot start with prime and keep using prime just because that is what they know. Not to mentiin it takes forever to use it up.
I have to use really little because I believe it's 1/6ml per gallon by my calculations so I use a syringe to measure it when I do water changes.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

I use API, it's just way more economical than Prime and other conditioners. This forum really loves Prime which I would recommend if the ammonia/nitrite binding properties are true....but so far I have not seen any evidence to suggest that it is so I am just taking Seachem's word for it....

Also btw, there is a patent for an ammonia/nitrite binding dechlorinator solution....and it is actually filed by API. So likely Seachem is just reselling API's product.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mightaswell
  • Question
Replies
Views
Pwilly07
Replies
Views
clovervalley