Is Rubber Safe For Aquariums?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by BobbyBoo, Jun 22, 2018.

1. BobbyBoo

BobbyBooNew MemberMember

Hey guys,

I have a Plecostomus that I got when he was a baby. 15 years later now, and he is a tad bit bigger lol. I have a castle in the tank currently. He can hardly fit in, but somehow manages.

I want to get something like a cave he can go into and found a rubber planter that would be perfect on it's side for him to hide in. Only problem is it's rubber. Is this safe for an aquarium?

The description says it's made from 100% recycled rubber.

I appreciate any help or advice you can offer.
    Thanks!
    God Bless!!

Below is the link

Forgot to post a pic of the tank with the castle he squeezes into. I am moving him into a new tank in a week or so. Wanted to get everything set up first, so it has time to stabilize.

TJhgKpW.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2018
  2. Goldfishfreak

GoldfishfreakValued MemberMember

It's really hard to know with some things.

But because it's made from recycled rubber they cannot tell you what kind, which means that it could potentially have chemicals in it that could leach into an aquarium.

Because it is recycled rubber no two planters will have the same material in them, so to speak. I wouldn't risk it if I were you.

But fortunately there are other options!

Terracotta pots would really well. You know those red clay pots you buy from home hardware or something. They are safe and come in many sizes. Just make sure they are made of real clay.

You can also buy pleco logs from pet stores. A chiclid rock might work if it's big enough.

Hope this helps. I just would hate for you to get one and it kill your fish because there are chemicals in in it.

3. Discus-Tang

Discus-TangWell Known MemberMember

Agree with @Goldfishfreak.

Have a look online and at your lfs for some driftwood. It always makes a tank so much better- and it will add fibre to the pleco's diet :)

4. Seasoldier

SeasoldierWell Known MemberMember

Hi, I wouldn't trust it, as @Goldfishfreak says above you can't know there's no chemicals in it which will taint your water & harm your fish. I have a clay terracotta pot in my tank which you can glue aquatic moss on to camouflage it, they work a treat.

5. coralbandit

coralbanditWell Known MemberMember

Pond liners are made from rubber [EPDM].
    The planter is probably safe IMO ,but you can't be sure.
    Terra cotta and wood are great safe choices IMO.
    I use both in my super red BNP tank and many of my breeding efforts.

6. Seasoldier

SeasoldierWell Known MemberMember

If it were purpose made for aquariums as the EPDM liners are for ponds I would agree but these planters are made from recycled rubber so you couldn't be sure what was actually in it IMHO.

7. OP
    OP
    BobbyBoo

BobbyBooNew MemberMember

Appreciate the help and advice guys. I agree, better to play it safe. Now that you guys mention Terra Cotta, I am thinking about a chimney flue. They are made from vitrified clay. I can pick up one at Menards for $20 bucks, and they are 12x12x24 which would be a perfect size. Also, the driftwood that @Discus-Tang mentioned is a great idea. I will check my pet shop for that as well.

Below is a pic of one with, and without a hole. Would this work since it's clay?

I have read that some users making foam 3D backgrounds, are using cement pigment stain for the rock colors.  

Would cement pigment stain also work for clay, and be safe? Appreciate your time, and help guys. Much appreciated!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  8. Goldfishfreak

GoldfishfreakValued MemberMember

That looks perfect!!
    I think your pleco would like that!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice