Is Rio 125 tank ok for 1 rainbow shark?

slakey
Hey all,

I'm currently cycling my Rio 125

It's 125 litres so 39US Gallons.
Currently houses 6 zebra danios.
Has 2 pieces of mopanI wood, a beach rock, live plants and a mixture of silver sand and pea gravel for the substrate.

So basically would my fish tank be able to house 1 rainbow shark, a male as I've heard they're smaller then the females?

I've seen that some sites say they need 50gallons, but people on forums have told me that my tank is ok... So I just want to get a big vote to decide if my tank is ok for one or not.

Thanks
slakey
P.S. Just a suggestion but it would be a good idea to put up a Rainbow Shark Fact Topic in this area of the forum so people know about them, before they post.

Cody
I think one rainbow shark would work fine in there..with those fish. but as it gets older its agressiveness may be a problem in that size of tank..there nice fish but can be hard to deal with at times....but I think it should work...personally ..but other people would have mixed views

slakey
I can easily get rid of the zebra danios.

also I'm thinking of maybe replacing the pieces of mopanI wood with some rocks/slate.
Or already soaked wood, as mine is becoming a pain, and just recently done a 3/4 water change, took out some plants and the 2 pieces mopanI wood and refilled.

The pieces of mopanI wood are getting a soaking in boiling hot water... But how long should I leave them in there for?

pistorta
I think the tank would be fine with the shark and I would leave the danios.

slakey
Well since I have never kept a shark on my own before (my mum and dad had a red tailed black shark when I was little) what else should I add to the tank?

I want 2 more Cabomba plants up the left side where the current cabomba is. But what plant should I have at the right hand side?

Also should I get some soaked wood or get some rocks/slate and put that in the tank?

pistorta
Tetras, barbs...lots of things can be kept with the shark. What do you like?

Rocks/slate and driftwood would all be good additions. Maybe more wood or more stone, depending on your water chemistry (ie general hardness).

slakey
surely I'm very limited if I do get a rainbow shark.

I want the shark to be the main attraction.
So nothing to fancy for the other fish...
And I don't want to stress the shark out too much, as this tank is abit tight for one to live in.

So maybe some neon or black neon tetra's with it?

Barbrella
Sharks like lots of caves and other hiding places, so wood and slate would be good.

As for neons - big fish eat little fish, and your shark can get quite large indeed. They also become aggressive with age and are safest with fish close to their own size. That's impossible in a tank the size of yours, so it's best to keep him alone.

slakey
What about a Rainbow Shark and some tiger/green barbs? 5-7 of them? Or would that be pushing it?

pistorta
I think you would be fine with that combination. I've found that rainbow sharks are not as aggressive over time as the red-tailed sharks, but anything is possible. I think your tank will house this group just fine.

slakey
have you had both sharks pistorta?

pistorta
Yes, the red-tailed was definitely the "meaner" of the two. They were not kept in the same tank as each other, but were kept with similar fish (tetras, danios, angels). For his size (grew larger than the red-tailed), the rainbow was actually quite peaceful.

slakey
ok thanks

do you still have them?

pistorta
Not any more. The rainbow died a few years ago...he must have been atleast 10 years old. The red-tailed shark succumbed to neon-tetra disease within the past year.

slakey
ahh ok. You ever thought of getting another Rainbow Shark?

pistorta
Actually, yes, but believe it or not, have been unable to find one in my LFS. I have a new tank now almost fully stocked and since I do not have a QT, fear that if I add any more fish, my "luck" may have run out with regard to my purchases of disease-free, healthy fish. Do you know what I mean?

slakey
ahh unlucky, one of my LFS has 4 Albino Rainbow Sharks at about 1.5-2 Inches so babies

pistorta
What do they want for them?

slakey
£1.25

pistorta
What about angels?

slakey
at my closet LFS the angels are

£2.99 for each
or 4 for £10

they're all juveniles
but they're 2 5inch angels

pistorta
I meant, what about angels as a stocking option?

slakey
yeah I have considered them.

But I'd much rather have a Rainbow Shark.

pistorta
You could easily house them together in that tank.

slakey
what? a rainbow shark and a angel?

pistorta
Absolutely. Without doubt.

slakey
hmm I'm not sure?

7inch long and 7inch tall? plus they like to be in a group

pistorta
NO, they do not get that large and can not be kept in a group. They will fight.
The rainbow shark looks like a red-tailed shark with the exception that all of its fins are red. They are similar in temperment and size.

Use this link and tell me if we are discussing the same fish

slakey
I meant the angels get that size. Or that's what the lady in my LFS told me.

Yes that's a Rainbow Shark.

I would've thought that the Rainbow Shark would also go for the Angels fins?

pistorta
The chances of an angelfish reaching that size in a home aquarium is a rarity at best. It is recommended that angels be kept in aquariums of atleast 30 gallons. I've had them in tanks as small as 20 with a shark and they seemed "happy".

slakey
hmm ok so how many would you suggest, keeping in mind I hear that the zebra danios will be ok with the Rainbow Shark?

I could keep the 6 danios and get a shark or get rid of the danios, get a shark and how many angels?

pistorta
The danios will be fine. The shark is an omnivore (will graze a lot) and quite frankly, if it wanted to eat the danios, would have a tough time doing so. The mouth of the shark faces down making it difficult to snatch a fish as quick and manuverable as the danio. In my ~15 years experience with them, never saw either type of shark go after them.

In a tank your size, I would keep the danios, with the shark and two angels.

slakey
cool thanks dude
your boosting up my confidence.

Loads of people on different forums are saying I shouldn't hense why I've looked at loads of other fish, such as, Discus, Angels, Pufferfish, South American Leaf Fish, German Blue Rams, Kribensis.

But if you say it's possible and you've had 15year experience then I'll go with your word.

I mean the ones I saw were about 1.5" so loads of time to grow, and by then hopefully if my dad will let me, I'll have converted one of the sheds into a all brick fish room, with maybe a 4' - 5' tank

pistorta
I don't know why anyone would advise against it... I would recommend keeping them in a community tank setting EVERY time. In fact, they are easier to keep than most of the fish you mentioned above.

Fish I successfully kept with the red-tailed and/or rainbow shark: Angelfish, Corydoras Cats, Snails, Bleeding Heart Tetra, Lemon Tetra, Zebra Danios, Polkadot Cats, Cherry Barbs, Golden Barbs, Black Tetra, Red-eye Tetra, Chinese Algae Eaters, Plecostamus, Serpae Tetra, Rummy-nosed Tetra, Rope fish, Clown loaches, KuhlI loaches, Giant Danios...Just keep them away from their own kind and you'll be fine.

slakey
thanks great help.

I advise you get another Rainbow Shark, so we can keep eachother upto date with them and also in case I run into any problems

pistorta
If you run into any problems, I'll buy him from you...but you'll have to pay the shipping.

One other thing, provide retreats for him. They like to sleep much like marine fish.

slakey
I have a plant pot.

and once I've set up the mopanI wood like before there's a lil hiding place behind there, aswell as a archway for him to go.

pistorta
Sounds good. Keep me up to date.

slakey
will do

no new info yet, still trying to sort out the tank

How hardy are Rainbow Sharks?

pistorta
I think they are very hardy. They eat anything you give them and seem to graze constantly. In addition, no other fish seems to pay them any attention.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
h20intolerant
Replies
Views
Jhawk117
  • Question
Replies
Views
Apersau1
Replies