Is regular fluorescent enough to grow healthy plants?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by melovefish, Dec 12, 2012.

1. m

melovefish Valued Member Member

i want to grow plants in my new aquarium. i was wordering fluorescent light was going to be enough or will a t5 ho bulb fit in the same light fixture, that fluorescent bulbs fit in. Thanks!!!:;banaman

2. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

To run a t5/t5ho you'll need a t5 fixture. What kind of fixture do you have now and on what size tank?

3. OP
    OP
    m

melovefish Valued Member Member

30 gallons 30 in long x 12 in deep x 19 high my light fixture is for regular fluorescent bulbs not sure if that helps

4. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Just a single bulb, or two bulbs? Does it have any writing on the bulb? It's likely a t8. You can also tell what type fixture it is based on the diameter of the bulbs, t8's are 1" wide, t5s are 5/8, and t12 are 1.5"

5. MotherMajesty:)

MotherMajesty:) Valued Member Member

If you want to keep your existing fixture, go to Lowe's or HomeDepot and get a plant bulb for it. (They'll be marked as such.) At least in my area, the LFS - even the chain stores - don't carry the 'old fashioned' bulbs (the thick ones) anymore, but the hardware stores do, and cheaper, too. It's only good enough for low-light plants, but if you can live with that, you can keep what you have.

6. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I have plants growing in a tank with plane jane T8s and they're doing just fine. :) It depends on the plant, as they have different requirements.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice