Is purple a desirable guppy color?

Sleepyflea

My guppy gave birth to some crazy colors. They are 54 days old now and all females, i have about 35 of them. The colors start as blue, and some have turned emerald green and even purple. This seems unusual for coloring. I mixed a blue guppy with a blue and red female guppy.

Kribensis27

I would say that purple could be desirable. It’s definitely not a super common color in fish, so I would for sure grow them out and see how the color develops.

Mikedick77

I agree. Good score!

EDIT: Get us some pics up to drool over!

mimo91088

Yes.

UnknownUser

Here for the upcoming pictures of purple guppies!

Mikedick77

Well, if nothing else, just from response, I'd say that yes, Purple guppies are desireable!

Demonskid

Following to see the purple guppies too!

mimo91088

Depending on how much purple I may be willing to buy them from you right here and now lol.

Kribensis27

mimo91088 said:
Depending on how much purple I may be willing to buy them from you right here and now lol.
Haha me too

Sleepyflea

Green, and blue with a hint of purple??

Mikedick77

Got pics of the parents? Good lookin female!

Sleepyflea

Mikedick77 said:
Got pics of the parents? Good lookin female!
It was a rough pregnancy. The father died mysteriously, though i suspect parasites, cause i had to treat my tank a few months back. And the mother got fin rot during her pregnancy in her late stages. So she is still healing. It took out 3/4 of her tail.
It may be a bit before i can post pictures of the parents.

Kribensis27

Sleepyflea said:
Green, and blue with a hint of purple??
Those are stunning!

Sleepyflea

Kribensis27 said:
Those are stunning!
Thank you! I hope more of them get that color. Other ones have orange i think. We might have alot of different colors, but we will see

Kribensis27

Sleepyflea said:
Thank you! I hope more of them get that color. Other ones have orange i think. We might have alot of different colors, but we will see
This is why I love live bearers. You never know what colors you’ll get, and you can get entirely different ones in the same batch of babies.

Mikedick77

Sleepyflea said:
It was a rough pregnancy. The father died mysteriously, though i suspect parasites, cause i had to treat my tank a few months back. And the mother got fin rot during her pregnancy in her late stages. So she is still healing. It took out 3/4 of her tail.
It may be a bit before i can post pictures of the parents.
I understand. Glad you were able to recover the mother with the tail that far gone. That's a win in itself!

emeraldking

Purple is a nice color on guppies...

AggressiveAquatics

That’s crazy how they are purple and all females

Sleepyflea

So one of my guppies had more kids. All 10 were females again.
Maybe my water is doing it, ive heard you cant get males in certain water parameters.

Kribensis27

Sleepyflea said:
So one of my guppies had more kids. All 10 were females again.
Maybe my water is doing it, ive heard you cant get males in certain water parameters.
How old are they? I can never tell if they’re males or females until a few weeks after birth.

Sleepyflea

Kribensis27 said:
How old are they? I can never tell if they’re males or females until a few weeks after birth.
You can tell quite early.
The females have the fin under their bum that is normally present/seeable within days after birth.
I assume that means they are all female from my understanding. Males grow their "stuff" a bit later into the growing cycle, but if it was a male they wouldnt have a single fun under the bum right? They would have 2 fins and nothing for mating yet until they are a bit bigger. This is at least my understanding of the subject.

mimo91088

Sleepyflea said:
You can tell quite early.
The females have the fin under their bum that is normally present/seeable within days after birth.
I assume that means they are all female from my understanding. Males grow their "stuff" a bit later into the growing cycle, but if it was a male they wouldnt have a single fun under the bum right? They would have 2 fins and nothing for mating yet until they are a bit bigger. This is at least my understanding of the subject.
They all look the same at birth. That fin is what changes into a gonopodium as the males grow out

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom