Is Prime supposed to STINK? - Page 2

WTFish?

Prime does have a rough smell. Price wise I find it to not be quite right for myself. I use Safe, which is the powder form of Prime. Measure out the quantity I need for water changes into a five gallon bucket along with my other additives. Safe still smells like a bucket of buttholes, but in the powder form usually only smell it when closer to the can. Once mixed it's barely discernable. And at a 1/4 teaspoon for 300 gallons, it's the best price wise since I'm caring for eleven tanks.
782c6d1b4980d2ecf998a4d8c9e6e0df.jpg
ba3178571e84b77f01ea08c1c054e6b0.jpg
I plan to buy Safe once my prime is gone

Rxo_c

I don’t like the smell either, very sulphuric like...but farts? If you know anyone who farts like that, make them go to the ER ASAP!! LOL
Now, flourish...that stuff makes me gag!

Lol!!!! That’s what my roommate said! She was like “did you fart?” When I said no she replied with “thank goodness, I was going to tell you to go to the hospital”

Toothless17

There's actually a smaller bottle with a snap lid that delivers drops of Prime.

I just keep refilling that one.

None of the local fish stores carry that - I’m in Canada, maybe that has something to do with it. I will check online though.

I only have two small tanks.....a 10 gallon & now a new 20 gallon & I use my 12L bucket to treat the new water. I find Prime such a pain in the butt to work out the dose for 10L of water!

WTFish?

None of the local fish stores carry that - I’m in Canada, maybe that has something to do with it. I will check online though.

I only have two small tanks.....a 10 gallon & now a new 20 gallon & I use my 12L bucket to treat the new water. I find Prime such a pain in the butt to work out the dose for 10L of water!
It’s super easy with a syringe (no needle)

GEM8820

The stuff certainly does smell...

allllien

A week or two ago there was this post about Prime smelling exactly like Chinese takeout. I'd like to to a poll about: "What does Prime smell like: Chinese food, or death?"
That was my post lol My 'chinese food' bottle originally smelled like death/rotten eggs too, but towards the end of the bottle (some years later) has completely changed form. I don't think that's normal, never heard of it happening before which was why I posted about it It's kind of amusing now every time I add some to a bucket of water my bathroom fills with the smell of chinese takeaway

david1978

I almost feel sorry for you guys having to use stuff like that. Like I said almost. Lol

allllien

I use a syringe with a 'drawing up needle' (not an actual needle, it's like a thick needle with no point). Makes it super easy to reach into the larger bottles with. Work out how many mls (or point of a mls) you need for your tank or each bucket, then every time you'll know it's approx. 0.5ml per 15L bucket or whatever Super easy and you'll barely smell it because it's so quick.

Carolyn Underwood

I have a bottle of prime I have been using, and lately I can’t help but notice it smells like death itself. Like as if someone farted but you should be concerned for them because no ones farts should smell like that. It made my roommate gag. Do I have a defective bottle? Did it go bad? Is this normal? I’m concerned...
Rxo_c, Glad you asked that question. I have been wondering why Prime is so stinky!

Skavatar

Prime is different than most other water conditioners.

"Prime does not contain any formaldehyde. It is a proprietary aqueous solution of complexed hydrosulfite salts."

Brizburk

It give me migraines.

Brizburk

I made my gf smell it, I said “smell this, it smells so good”
that's something I'd do

goldface

. . .

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishcat
Replies