30 Gallon Tank Is Pleco Sick?

mrsrobertson20

Does this faded spot on my pleco look like something we need to be concerned about? I haven't been able to get a good look at him in a while, he stays hidden most of the time & not sure when it started, he has doubled in size recently. 35 gal community tank, around 74 degrees. 50% water change & gravel vac 4 days ago, and we did change out old pump & filter to a better one with a biowheel, same day. We are using the old filter cartridge in the new pump. Tank mates are 4-5 mollies, 2 Platys, 4 baby Blue Parrot Convicts and a red fin shark. Convicts added 2 weeks ago, Red fin added 3 days ago, he was a transplant from our 65 gal. Everyone else looks and acts healthy. Red Fin was trying to push his way into the Plecos hiding spot in the tank, went on for a couple of days until Red claimed a hide spot on other side of tank. Didn't really seem to bother the Pleco too much, but wondering if we stressed him with the all the changes? Taking water parameters tonight, waiting on kit from Amazon delivery.
20210625_144142.jpg

LOL Little Guy is perfectly fine. I removed his cover to force him in the light to get a better look...it was just a trick of the light. He is fine, normal color, happily munching on a wafer. I am constantly worried about my community tanks coming down with something and loosing my babies, panic for nothing. Sigh.

Attachments

• 20210625_144142.jpg
    20210625_144142.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 19

FishPlanet

No worry! From my experience on plecos, this is a natural color!

Upvote 0

mrsrobertson20

No worry! From my experience on plecos, this is a natural color!
Lol, good to know. I was totally freaked out.

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

Most plecos, or at least all the ones I have kept, Have sections of skin/scales that change color, or at least change hues. It is generally whith mood or when they are resting. My sister saw my pleco one time and thought he was dead and decaying, as he had a lot of grey. But drop in an algae wafer, and he was always back to normal in a minute or so.

Upvote 0

mrsrobertson20

Wow..I didn't know they could change like that and never saw it in my pleco when he was smaller. Thanks for the info, definitely an interesting breed. <3

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

I know its really wierd. You might not see often, because the often sleep under or indecoration. evan wierder, Have you ever seen your pleco blink?

Upvote 0

mrsrobertson20

It is weird lol, will be watching for the color changes. I have seen him blink! Their eyes are wild, aren't they? I love Plecos.

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

YEH! I just lost my beloved 6 year old squeegee like a week ago. And my 11 year old candy-striped pleco earlier this year. RSVP.

Upvote 0

mrsrobertson20

YEH! I just lost my beloved 6 year old squeegee like a week ago. And my 11 year old candy-striped pleco earlier this year. RSVP.

Thats so sad..Im sorry. I haven't lost any except my Electric Blue Acara that jumped from the quarantine tank the night we picked him up, lesson learned.

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

AHH, thats awfull!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
MeowMadz
Replies