Is pink lighting good for plants?

lyndatu
Hello

We went to the local fish shop to browse on lighting. It's quite expensive..........but we'll need it because of plants. But they have white light with a very faint pink. I asked if they have pure white light because I read that plants need a complete spectrum and white has a complete spectrum. They say that pink is the most common used and good for plants. I went to more fish shops and they agree that pink light is great. I want to make sure. Are they right? Is white light with the slightest touch of pink ok? Thanks in advance!

MagpieTear
The thing you want to look for is the spectrum number the box will have on it. I can't remember the exact upper and lower numbers at this early hour (coffee is still brewing) but anything with a number between 5700k and 10,000 will be what you find. Ask the LFS if they will show you examples of each bulb, good ones often will. IIRC the 10,000k is best suited for saltwater and corals. I'm sure more learned types will pop in with their experiences soon.

Jimold
The thing you want to look for is the spectrum number the box will have on it. I can't remember the exact upper and lower numbers at this early hour (coffee is still brewing) but anything with a number between 5700k and 10,000 will be what you find. Ask the LFS if they will show you examples of each bulb, good ones often will. IIRC the 10,000k is best suited for saltwater and corals. I'm sure more learned types will pop in with their experiences soon.

Not bad for no coffee, for freshwater you want 6700K. But most people don't like them because they're too pink, so lots of times you find combo lights, with one 6700K and one full daylight (10,000K). However, I just bought a 130 watt Coralife with 2 compact fluorescent 6700K (65watt each) bulbs. And even though it's for plants, it's so bright it's not nearly as pink looking as the t-5 tubes I had.

MagpieTear
That's the same fixture I just bought, makes a world of difference over the original 48 watt single florescent fixture that came with the tank. Somewhere on Plant Geek is a post with comparisons of different colors of bulbs over the same tank, but I'll be darned if I can find it...

COBettaCouple
I like the light with peaks in blue & red and the highest peak in yellow to simulate sunlight more, with a temp of 4200k.

but we don't have a lot of plants. The ones we have gotten seem to be thriving better than any plants we've had before and I think the yellow light really is doing great for them.

If you've got more plants, then you'll probably want a slightly different spectrum and higher K, especially if the tank is deep. I've seen tubes meant to encourage plant growth up to 18,000K with a similiar spectrum to what we have, just much less red in the light.

Trpimp147
there is a post to me about lighting with full detail.

Gozer_1
Light in the redder side of the spectrum stimulates vegative growth in plants. The shift to bluer light in late summer going to fall stimulates fruiting. Atleast it does in some plants. Bluer light also stimulates algae growth. I have the Coral Life with the one pink and one white and you'd never know one was "pink". I haven't kept live plants for long but this light seems to be doing an A1 excelent job.

COBettaCouple
so, the tubes with high red peaks in their spectrum are best for plant growth? I must admit I was confused since I see all variety of spectrums in "for plants" tubes. Thanks for the tip, I've got a lot to learn about lighting and feel free to illuminate me further anytime. I guess it's the red peak (2nd highest peak in the spectrum) that's encouraging the live plants to grow so well in our tanks that have fl. tubes. Eventually, I want to replace all the tank tops with fl fixtures, but that MTS keeps draining the fish budget.

0morrokh
I'm pretty sure plants use more red and blue light and not as much green and yellow. That's about the extent of my lighting knowledge.

COBettaCouple
yea, I picked the tubes we have for the fish. (This is the tube that our Betta Mickey demanded since he freaked out for blue-spectrum highest light.) THEN we picked up plants at the Aquarium Society's last 2 meetings.. lol.. oh well, at least they're doing good from the other peaks, if not the yellow. I did see one light that had just one peak running from yellow to red.. I wonder how good of a planted tank tube that would be.

0morrokh
I did see one light that had just one peak running from yellow to red.. I wonder how good of a planted tank tube that would be.

I'm not sure how dependent plants are on the blue part of the spectrum... (this is where I get frustrated with bio class this year, I could explain the entire chemical process of photosynthesis but don't know how to grow a plant..... )

COBettaCouple
hey - you can spell photosynthesis.. that's tough enough!

I'm not sure how dependent plants are on the blue part of the spectrum... (this is where I get frustrated with bio class this year, I could explain the entire chemical process of photosynthesis but don't know how to grow a plant..... )

Gozer_1
No plants don't use green light that's why they are green. Green light is reflected back by the chlorophyl. Some yellow is used but yes red and blue are most important. As I said slightly on the red end for vegitation. Blue is more for the marine tank and deeper water penetration. It would encourage more unwanted alga in the freshwater tank, and may make some plants feel as though it's the end of the season and therefore not grow as well.

COBettaCouple
isn't it fun how there's always MORE to learn, the more that you learn?

0morrokh
Actually plants do use a little green light, but only very small amounts. Most of their light receptors are for red & blue but there are additonal ones that capture green/yellow light.

Gozer_1
Actually plants do use a little green light, but only very small amounts. Most of their light receptors are for red & blue but there are additonal ones that capture green/yellow light.

Yes this is true but the amount is very minimal compared to the red and blue especially with green.

Jimold
hey - you can spell photosynthesis.. that's tough enough!

Oh god, there's a Spongebob episode where Spongebob and Sandy Cheeks try and give up Karate, and are trying to keep themselves occupied, and one of the things Spongebeb comes up with is:
"We can act like plants"
And he lies on his back, spreads his arms and starts chanting "Photosynthesis... photosynthesis... photosynthesis..."
Now I can't hear the word without hearing that little yellow idiot in my head...lol!

MagpieTear
Barnacles! (my 5 year old is in the next room watching Spongebob right now)

COBettaCouple

"We can act like plants"
And he lies on his back, spreads his arms and starts chanting "Photosynthesis... photosynthesis... photosynthesis..."
Now I can't hear the word without hearing that little yellow idiot in my head...lol!

0morrokh
Oh god, there's a Spongebob episode where Spongebob and Sandy Cheeks try and give up Karate, and are trying to keep themselves occupied, and one of the things Spongebeb comes up with is:
"We can act like plants"

(I'm pretty sure spongebob is singlehandedly lowering our nation's iq)

COBettaCouple
Are you sure it can go lower? Compared to reality TV, the news and the same show 50 times, just with different names I'd say the damage is far worse away from BikinI Bottom.

(I'm pretty sure spongebob is singlehandedly lowering our nation's iq)

Jimold
Are you sure it can go lower? Compared to reality TV, the news and the same show 50 times, just with different names I'd say the damage is far worse away from BikinI Bottom.

I couldnt have said it better! Although I'm actually more of a Jimmy Neutron fan than Spongebob, I turn to Nick or Cartoon network to get AWAY from reality!

COBettaCouple
Nerdtron!
I couldnt have said it better! Although I'm actually more of a Jimmy Neutron fan than Spongebob, I turn to Nick or Cartoon network to get AWAY from reality!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AquariumX
Top Bottom