Is pea gravel too "sharp"?

bjm051593

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm thinking of taking some of the pea gravel from the kid's sandbox for the substrate (they have a few yards so can spare some). I'm worried that it will be too sharp though - we're thinking of getting some kuhlI loaches.

The kids play barefoot in it and have no trouble but I don't know how sharp is too sharp for the fish...

I know I'll have to rinse it quite well, but am mostly worried about it being to sharp.

Thoughts?

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I had pea gravel with kuhlI loaches. They would burrow down into the nooks and crannies between the rocks. Never had any of them get hurt by it.

I would suggest rinsing the gravel REALLY well with warm water and distilled white vinegar, and then boiling it REALLY well to remove any nasties from outside.

bruiser

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just a thought, but it probably wouldn't hurt to give it the old vinigar test before you invest too much work into cleaning and preparing your gravel.. Take a handful, rinse it off, and put a few drops of vinigar on it.. if it bubbles and foams, you may want to reconsider as the stone may alter your pH.. (I had this problem with decorative pea stone not too long ago, except I had my tank full of water and cycling before I realised it!..)

Best of luck!

OP
B

bjm051593

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks all...

Bassbonediva - if I boil the gravel, why would I need to rinse with vinegar beforehand - I'd think the boiling would take care of pretty much anything.

Bruiser - I'm going to go try that now, thanks...

New Threads