Is non organic safe for plecos?

1. e

echi1 Well Known Member Member

Is non organic safe for plecos and other fish? I've been very worried about this and would like to know. Thanks for all the answers and also other veggies and fruits they can eat other than zucchini, cucumber, sweet potatoes, melons, tomatoes, mushrooms and lettuce?

2. C

CLam Well Known Member Member

Short answer, yes. Conventional produce, although it may have traces of ferts and pesticides, are not doused in the chemicals before sale. Granted, buying organic encourages such practices, which means fewer synthetic chemicals in the habitats of fish in the outside world. Also, as my grandmother's wisdom dictates, if a vegetable is undesirable to the bugs, what makes it desirable to anyone at all?

Naturally, you should thoroughly wash anything you drop in your tanks.

3. NCE12940

NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

Some people say their catfishes won't eat the skin or peel of non-organic veggies. Mine do with no problem. My male BN particularly likes yellow squash. I don't think mine have ever had any organic veggies though. I do scrub them with a vegetable brush & water.

4. OP
    OP
    e

Thank you! I will have to try squash. I do wash everything thoroughly before going in. My BN doesn't like anything, but algae wafers so far... I'll keep trying new things. Thanks again!

5. NCE12940

Try sticking some of the algae wafers in the squash. Instant association (hopefully) - algae wafer=food=squash.

6. OP
    OP
    e

Thanks!
    My pleco loves peaches and cherries. So I guess any sweet fruit she'll like!

7. NCE12940

Mine didn't much care for canteloupe but they did like the watermellon.

8. OP
    OP
    e

Mine didn't like cantaloupe either. I will have to try squash and watermelon. I'm starting to hear bad things about mushrooms. These are safe for them right? Thanks!

9. NCE12940

Both my *big* BNs and the 4 red baby BNs all like mushrooms & show no ill effects.

10. OP
    OP
    e

Thanks!