Is My Zebra Dan Pregnant

Wobbegong

Sorry for the bad picture but my dan was moving really fast, anyways I need to know if this danio is pregnant so that if it does have babies I will have a home for it, I have noticed this danio sometimes eats my pleco's food. Is it pregnant or just overfed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 11.39.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 11.39.20 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 117

sfsamm

Danios lay eggs, they actually are egg scatterers. Males follow females around and fertilize the eggs as the female drops them. The females can get quite plump sometimes before dropping eggs. They can lay regularly. The kicker... They eat their eggs and although occasionally they miss a couple they will eat the fry too. In a very heavily planted tank you could see some survivors otherwise it pretty much requires a specific setup. I've kept Danios several times, I've never even seen a swimmer, they are pretty efficient at eating them in a tank.

smee82

No shes not pregnant

Sepehr

Hello!
No, Most of my Danios look exactly like yours (like they are pregnant) and I think it is because of their small belly that every time they eat a small amount of food, they appears to be pregnant

NavigatorBlack

She is a she, and is filling with eggs. She can get twice that belly. Usually, they expel the eggs and get on with their lives. They'll spawn if you also have males, but the chances of young surviving are tiny.

Paulsz

I had zebra danios for a while. The females belly will get huge, and I'm not exaggerating. If you have many and one of them is filled with eggs, you'll see just how much bigger she is compared to the others. The belly looks like it can barely support itself.

Like others have said, she will lay eggs but chances are you won't see them. If a male is around, you might get a spawn and get to see some fry, but within a day or two all of them will get eaten (unless you move the adults to another tank).

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
michaelh
  • Question
Replies
Views
Shrimp42
Replies
Views
mtm45
Replies