Is my Upside Down Catfish safe?

Slapp

Hello,
I recently got an Upside Down Catfish after being on a waitlist at my LFS for a while now. When they got him out from the back for me, he was a lot younger than I thought he’d be. He’s got a nice plump belly and looks very healthy, he’s just barely an inch long. I’m worried that if I put him in my main community tank my spunky tetras and Gourami would be too curious and stress him a lot.
Main concerns:
Will he be attacked?
Will he be too scared?
Will he be able to eat?
Does he need the entire top to have floaters or will he be alright with just a half?
Will he eat from the bottom or just the top?

I don’t have a problem spot feeding him, but I can’t do that if he’s always hidden. My tank has lots of nooks and crannies because I was breeding shrimp until my tetras decided they like to eat shrimp.
He’s in a 5 gallon right now with a baby Honey Gourami, but she doesn’t like sharing the space and I don’t wanna keep him in there for too long.

thank you,
Slapp

Slapp

Bump!

Upvote 0

Floki

I have a 8 year old upside down catfish. He only comes out of hiding when the lights are off and eats just about anything. He eats flakes and I give him a sinking pellet made for catfish. Mine is territorial and holds his own against 2 gouramis and a handful of tetras. Granted he's the biggest in the tank but he wasn't always. They are pretty tough.

Upvote 0

applejax

Our upside down catfish hides most of the tome, but will come out briefly at feeding time or at night. Sometimes I drop some sinking food in at night with the lights off. She’s fine and she’s cool.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Slapp
  • Question
Replies
Views
darkcat
Replies
Views
pattersonbear