Is My Tiger Barb Pregnant?

Punkus_Magunkus

Reaction score
So I have a 46g bowfront with 8 tiger barbs 5 cherry barbs 2 pearl gouramI 2 adolfoI corys(I'm waiting for more to come in don't worry) and a green phantom pleco. The other day after I noticed one of the albino tiger barbs looking awful bloated. I tried to take some pictures today but they don't show it the greatest. Is the tiger barb pregnant and if not what else could it be? If it is pregnant what should I do about that? I figure if the tiger barb lays eggs it will become more aggressive than they already are. I have a spare 10 gallon I could put the female in to lay eggs and stuff if it wouldnt be too bad being alone.
20190331_170323.jpg
20190331_170326.jpg

Mikayla1121

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks like it! But I'm not experienced with tiger barbs.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is egg-laden, or some folks say gravid, but pregnant is usually reserved for livebearing fish.

To spawn, one has to have males present to fertilize the eggs as the female releases them. It is a rather boisterous chase sometimes, producing a couple hundred eggs on average. I spawned them in 10 gallon tanks loaded with spawning mops and other artificial media to catch the eggs. Adults have to be removed soon after egglaying is completed, or they will eat the eggs.

OP
P

Punkus_Magunkus

Reaction score
chromedome52 said:
It is egg-laden, or some folks say gravid, but pregnant is usually reserved for livebearing fish.

To spawn, one has to have males present to fertilize the eggs as the female releases them. It is a rather boisterous chase sometimes, producing a couple hundred eggs on average. I spawned them in 10 gallon tanks loaded with spawning mops and other artificial media to catch the eggs. Adults have to be removed soon after egglaying is completed, or they will eat the eggs.
All I have in the way of spare tanks is a single ten gallon. Would it be feasible for me to remove that female and a male tiger barb and put them in the ten gallon to do their thing?

New Threads