Is My Tiger Barb Pregnant?

Discussion in 'Tiger Barb' started by Punkus_Magunkus, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Punkus_Magunkus

Punkus_MagunkusValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +28
    So i have a 46g bowfront with 8 tiger barbs 5 cherry barbs 2 pearl gourami 2 adolfoi corys(im waiting for more to come in dont worry) and a green phantom pleco. The other day after i noticed one of the albino tiger barbs looking awful bloated. I tried to take some pictures today but they dont show it the greatest. Is the tiger barb pregnant and if not what else could it be? If it is pregnant what should i do about that? I figure if the tiger barb lays eggs it will become more aggressive than they already are. I have a spare 10g i could put the female in to lay eggs and stuff if it wouldnt be too bad being alone. 20190331_170323.20190331_170326.

2. Mikayla1121

Mikayla1121New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Looks like it! But I'm not experienced with tiger barbs.

3. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,085
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It is egg-laden, or some folks say gravid, but pregnant is usually reserved for livebearing fish.

To spawn, one has to have males present to fertilize the eggs as the female releases them. It is a rather boisterous chase sometimes, producing a couple hundred eggs on average. I spawned them in 10 gallon tanks loaded with spawning mops and other artificial media to catch the eggs. Adults have to be removed soon after egglaying is completed, or they will eat the eggs.

4. OP
    OP
    Punkus_Magunkus

Punkus_MagunkusValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +28
    All i have in the way of spare tanks is a single ten gallon. Would it be feasible for me to remove that female and a male tiger barb and put them in the ten gallon to do their thing?