Is My Tiger Barb Going To Die Or Have Babies?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by BeanFish, Apr 12, 2017.

1. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I have 8 Tiger Barbs in a cycled 36 gal tank. This is my first time with them so I am not an expert on barbs. There are other 4 mollys in that tank too. I dont know my water parameters (no test kit, expensive, hard to find, has to be ordered, it is a hassle etc...) but they must be good since I did a 20% water change on Saturday and a 20% water change yesterday. No fish have died in there and they are all active as always too so again, I want to believe they are fine.
    Anyways, I noted that my 3 female barbs have been getting fatter, a lot fatter than they were before. What does this mean? I dont think they are bloated because I feed them a mixture of: fish, peas, garlic, spinach and carrots so they should be getting enough fiber. I also want to think it is not dropsy because I see no pineconing. Finally, if they were internal parasites I would expect most of my fish to have them as the barbs have been together for almost 2 months.
    Are they eggbound? Or is this just natural? Or Am I just being stupid and it is from overfeeding (lol)?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. w

wem21 Well Known Member Member

look eggbound to me! Keep posting updates of the barbs condition, and are there both sexes of barbs in the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    BeanFish

I hope they are eggbound too! Do you also keep tiger barbs? I don't want to get too happy yet because it would be pretty traumatic to make a party and then see them dead lol.
    I think I have 5 males and 3 females, all of them are fat but these 2 are a little bit fatter than the 3rd female.

4. OP
    OP
    BeanFish

Update: I came to see the fish and my 3 females are back to normal, maybe I overfed or maybe they threw the eggs and ate em all, I will never know.
    Probably overfeeding because I did gave them a bigger chunk of food.
    I feel dumb now LOL.

5. w

wem21 Well Known Member Member

thats great that theyre all better

6. W

WildEyedDanio New Member Member

Barbs are prone to eating their own eggs,wouldn't be at all surprising if they were pregnant and ate the eggs. If you really want to breed them you'd need a breeding net or breeding tank

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice